Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hearing tests

monte is offline Registered User

hearing tests

I have an 11-month old baby, who is not babbling or making much sound. We always thought his hearing was ok because he responds to sounds, but our pediatrician back home (through email) reccommends we get a hearing test anyway, because he could be missing subtle distinctions, etc.
    I don't know how to go about this--we don't really have a pediatrician here. Is this something I can just arrange myself or do I need a referral first?

thanks for any help or advice!

Monte

Neha is offline Banned
    U can go the Govt clinic and they do all the tests .I dont know if u need a referral letter or not but if u plan to stay in HK it is better u get a local pediatrician for your child.

best of luck

mscheerful is offline Registered User
    Also if he is born in HK, the hospital or local clinic will do a hearing test on him. They will tell u if he has any hearing problem. BUt yes, it is good that u get a local pedia for your child even you don't plan to live long here.

arleneli is offline Registered User
    If your child got HK ID, the MCHC clinic will do it for you free of charge.

cha-cha is offline Registered User
    the baby clinic at Canossa does them for about $400 if you want to go private. i don't think you need a doctor's referral, the pedia nurses do them.

monte is offline Registered User
    thanks for your replies, everyone. He wasn't born here and doesn't have an HK ID. We did go to one pedi. who was on our insurance for a cold, but we didn't like him and so I plan to try someone new for his one year check up. Maybe I'll just wait to talk to that doctor about the hearing thing and see what they recommend.

dimsum mum is offline Registered User
    the adventist also has a very good audiology department with lots of age appropriate equipment. you can directly make an appointment there. we also had one of our children's grommets put in there and were very pleased. buddy wong is the dr.

jormankiu is offline Registered User
    My baby did hearing test at the age of around 5-6 mths at Queen Mary Hospital. The test itself was rather simple except that he need to be put to sleep for about half an hour and the test took around 20 minutes.

You can approach Dr Barbara Lam and get her to refer you to do the test at Queen Mary on private case. Dr. Lam is a very experienced paediatrician who was previously the head of Queen Mary NICU for 10+ years and specializing in babies with complications.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast