Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

C-section at the Matilda

aussiegal is offline Registered User

C-section at the Matilda

I'm having a second c-section at the Matilda shortly and because I was still in shock when I went for my first (having been given only a night's notice that I needed to have one) I can't remember many of the details. What did other people wear during their c-section there? Do I need to bring a dressing gown?

Any other tips or comments?

thanks.

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    I just had one in December. They will give your a gown to wear during the surgery and a dressing gown will be in your room. One thing that I found relaxing was to have music playing during the operation (my son was born to U2!). When they take the baby away and are sewing you up it keeps your mind off what is going on and gives you something to focus on, especially if your partner has gone with the baby. You can bring your own music but my Dr had an Ipod full of music.

I was in a private room and they had plenty of maternity pads so I didn't bother using the ones I bought and just saved them for home. They have disposable underwear (netted material) but you might want to go to M&S and get a 5 pack of the large granny style pants to wear as they will be more comfortable. The rooms also had dressing gowns and slippers so if you don't want to bring too much stuff, leave yours at home.

Congratulations on your pending arrival.

joshsmum is offline Registered User
    Hi,

I had my c-section in April last year and I was only given about 6 hours notice!! So I was very much like your first one!

Anyway, one thing I would prepare for next time is to pay more attention to my down stairs region - they took to it with an electric razor just before surgery and I think next time I'd consider getting it all waxed off beforehand as I found the re-growth itchy and they did a pretty basic job at it (at the least I'd get it well manicured at the beautician beforehand!).

You go to the c-section in a hospital gown - I was in my room for 3 or 4 hours before and they just came and collected me when it was time to go down to Level 1 where the surgery ward is. They wheeled me down in the bed and wheeled me back in the bed after it was finished. I remember that all jewelry and nail polish had to be off!

I didn't think about the music - I think there was something playing at mine - maybe classical music.. but if you got the choice beforehand that would be great.

I can't remember if there was a dressing gown in the room, it was warm when I was there, but if you feel cozy in your own then you should take it. I wore a hospital gown for a day after the c-section as it was the most comfortable thing and I didn't really get out of bed much for the first 24 hours, but then I swapped to my nightie - loose fitting. And I just used the netting underwear and maternity pads supplied which I found great.

Good Luck.
    Belinda

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the responses guys.

Joshmum - that's one thing I remember, getting shaved down there in a quite brutal, 1 minute job kind of way. Will have to get it taken care off myself this time!

And the music, yes good idea. Will bring my own ipod. I recall now having to listen to some music I would never have chosen myself :)

carang is offline Registered User
    aren't you lucky! matilda! i'll keep my fingers crossed that everything goes well with no surprises.

(ps> i only had 3 hours notice for my first c-section... but i wasn't at matilda and it was a dangerous situation with sky-high blood pressure! but they don't shave at the public hospitals, so that was great!)

Balvo is offline Registered User
    i just had one a month ago. i didnt have any notice either as i was induced at 36 weeks and had one as an emergency. i would just say lots of loose nighties. i found even my baggiest pj's to restrictive on the incision line afterwards and so wore the hospital gowns instead for a few days which doesnt do your sense of well being any good!
    also lots of warm socks.
    good luck!