Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Kids accepted at ESF Sheung wan AM sessions

kiwiinoz is offline Registered User

Don't know if you ladies know this, but the Sheung Wan kindergarten is moving to Stubbs Road (in/next to Bradbury School) in 2010 according to an email I received this morning.
    I imagine that may impact some parents decisions on whether to go there or not.
    However, it also appears they will be doubling the class capacity from 4 classes to 8.

I have to agree with Neha that ESF Sheung Wan has been quite open in terms of communication and parent involvement. If I go into the kindergarten to pick up my daughter (she normally takes a bus) the staff are always friendly and her teacher often comes up to talk to me about what my daughter is doing, who her friends are, etc....
    They encourage parents who can to help out with the classes (on a roster) and they insist than at least one adult (normally parent or helper) go on the 'bigger' field trips they do.

I'll also mention though... the statistics for the kids getting into primary school may be a bit misleading. Several of the children in my daughters class had tutors to prepare them for the ESF primary school interviews.... personally, we didn't and can't believe people would need to do that. Our daughter got into ESF primary with no problems on her own merit.... although even as a native english speaker I worried about how my daughter would do because of the fact other kids had tutor preparations....

shri is offline Administrator
    Several of the children in my daughters class had tutors to prepare them for the ESF primary school interviews
    Are you serious? Thought that just happened for Band 1 schools.

mrsdoubtfire is offline Registered User

My daughter also goes to this school. She loves it and we also find the teachers nice and friendly. My daughter has learnt Mandarin songs and seems to have experience new things. We are v happy with this place.

Jojob is offline Registered User

Thank you for sharing.

I would attend the school tour and see which session they offered to my son. As what I say, he is a morning person.
    It is also put into our concerns.

Neha is offline Banned

really they are moving to Stubbs road that would be an issue for some. Well we will come to know soon and anyway we will do K1 there and it is only fOR k2 THAT we might have to move

Sage is offline Registered User

Hi Neha, I sent you a pm. Sage.

Jo Bowd is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiinoz View Post
    Several of the children in my daughters class had tutors to prepare them for the ESF primary school interviews.... personally, we didn't and can't believe people would need to do that. Our daughter got into ESF primary with no problems on her own merit.... although even as a native english speaker I worried about how my daughter would do because of the fact other kids had tutor preparations....
    Kiwinoz,

Were the children who had interview prep from native English speaking families or was English their 2nd (or even 3rd) language? I alway assumed that if you were a native English speaker once you managed to get an interview, you were more or less into ESF primary.

Jo

kiwiinoz is offline Registered User

Most of them were second or third language speakers.
    However, their everyday spoken english and comprehension in the school is good already. English is the only language (outside of mandarin lessons) that the children speak in the kindergarten. So I was very bemused to hear about the interview specific tutoring. I'm honestly not sure the children needed it. To me, it seems like some parents are just looking for that extra advantage to get their child into the primary schools, rather than letting their child prove themselves on their own ability.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12