Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Antenatal Classes

sherwes is offline Registered User

Antenatal Classes

Hi, I am due with my second baby at the beginning of June.
    I had my first baby in Sydney and attended antenatal classes there (although I didn't attend the classes on the labour side of things as I was having an elective c-section).

I am going to try for VBAC with my second baby so I need to educate myself as to the labour process, pros and cons of pain relief options etc. I am booked into the Matilda and they offer classes over 6 weeks (2 hours per week) for $2,000.

I am sure that the Matilda classes are very good but don't really want to attend and pay for the 6 sessions given that they will cover a lot of stuff I already know (as I already have one child). If I attend some sessions and not others I still have to pay the full fee.

Is there anywhere that I can book in to do a class or private session just on the labour process (how to recognise it as opposed to false labour, when to go to hospital, what are the pros and cons of the various pain relief options)? I am particularly interested to understand how a walking epidural works (they don't have them in Aust I don't think) and what my options are if I am willing to go through the pain of contractions but want some local pain relief for the final pushes.

MikiK is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Hi Sherwes,

I took a Fast Track Antenatal class (3 sessions total, each session about 2 hrs) at The Family Zone. Classes held in Central, Bank of America building.

Check out
    Price was $1100, I think. They teach you about labour, when to call hospital, pain relief, etc.

Good luck.

eneri7 is offline Registered User
    hi sherwes!

try annerley and meet with one of the midwives. i'm sure they can help with your specific concerns. i'm very happy with their services and comforting approach.