Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Dropping the morning nap

southside852 is offline Registered User

Dropping the morning nap

I think my 13 month year old son is about to drop his morning nap. It's the 3rd day in a row that I've put him down only to hear/see him jumping up and down in his crip for about 45 minutes straight. The problem is that he's still waking up at 6 - 6:30am so he' exhausted by 11am. I thought his body would adjust naturally, but it doesn't seem like the case. Today he fell asleep in playgroup at 11:30. Ideally, I would love him to wake up at 8am so that he can play from 8 - noon, have lunch then nap at 1pm.

Anyone have an experience in pushing wake-up times later? His routine is like clock-work.

Thanks!

Neha is offline Banned
    our son also get sup early but as he is getting older his ability to stay awake is longer. we dropped the morning naps at about also 13-14 months and he used to sleep by 11.30-12 and wake up at 2.00-3.00 and then sleep again at about 7-8

we never could get our son to sleep longer in the morning,

best of luck

mscheerful is offline Registered User
    most of the toddlers at this age drop from 2 naps to 1. They will still waking up at between 6-7.30am if they sleep at about 8-8.30pm. Yes, they will take their naps at around 11-12 noon as they need about 5-6 hours before getting tired. Their nap time is about 2-3 hours. However, by about 18 months, they will be waking up at around 7-8am and go nap about 1-2pm and night sleep is around 8.30-9.30pm. Not all but from my observation and experience, most kids are into this time table. They are some toddlers still take two short naps and goes to bed at night at 10-11pm. It is still up to us to set their time tables.

sherwes is offline Registered User
    Hi, my son is now 15 months old. He dropped his morning nap about 6 weeks ago. There was a transition period of about 3 weeks where he would fall asleep at 11 or 11.30 (even if he was in the middle of chewing a mouth full of food!). There was nothing that could keep him awake as he was just exhausted by then. Gradually over the 3 week period he was able to stay awake and happy until later and now he sleeps later in the morning (about 30 mins later than he used to) and has one nap a day at about 12 noon.

His current routine is:
    7.30/7.45am - wake up
    12/12.30 - 2/2.30pm - nap (sometime he doesn't nap until 1)
    7.00/7.15pm - bed for the evening.

It sounds like your son is just going through a transitional phase and, in time, he will be able to stay awake for longer between waking in the morning and his nap. Whether this means he will sleep in later I don't know (although I consider myself lucky that my son now does!).

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    My oldest dropped to 1 sleep right on 12 months. My youngest was about the same age as yours.

FYI my oldest dropped all day sleeps right on 2. My youngest is just over two and I am hanging on...

fennho is offline Registered User
    i'm also wondering how and when to identify my gal (13mth old) is dropping her naps. Currently she's still napping twice a day, once in the late morning around 11am, and then again at around 4ish. Her bedtime is around 8ish to 9pm. The problem is i nurse her to sleep, so as long as she nurse, she'll still sleeps! Any advices?

mscheerful is offline Registered User
    If she is taking a long time to take of of her naps that means she is ready to drop from two to one. Again, not all baby drops their nap when they turn one, some still take two naps even at two but as long as she is taking ages to take one of the naps that means she is ready to drop one. Also try to see if you don't nurse her whether she will stll nap? but i am sure you will not willing not to nurse her, right?

JoTs is offline Registered User
    My son dropped his morning nap at about 13/14 months. It took him a few weeks to get up his stamina to make it through to 1pm for his afternoon nap... but he soon managed it and slept much longer in the afternoon.