Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Toddler has recurring colds

mumsy is offline Registered User

Toddler has recurring colds

Hi. My 3 year old is now on his 6th cold/cough in 4 weeks. When he recovers from each bout of cold, about 3 days later he'll start to get a runny nose and cough again.

His doctor says it's just a common cold as his nasal discharge is clear and he doesn't have a fever, so he just prescribes 2 days medicine to help alleviate the symptoms.

By the way, he started nursery school last Sept so I expect he'll pick up more colds. He was also breastfed for a very long time and only stopped recently so he's only ever had about 2 colds from birth to 3yrs, but now it seems he can't stop getting ill all the time.

Just wondering if I should seek a second opinion or if this is quite normal.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    It's quite normal for Hong Kong. It happened to my then 2 year old last year and the doctor told me to take him out of Hong Kong if I wanted to break the cycle. We went to Thailand on a 3 week holiday and within a week he was better, no more colds, no more awful cough.

It happened again this year with the start of winter but thankfully we went to Oz for Christmas and it cleared up straight away. We've been back 3 weeks and (touch wood) he hasn't had anything even though most kids around him are spluttering away.

The pollution has a lot to do with it. If your child has weakened air passages etc from colds, breathing in dirty air makes it a lot harder to recover. It's another thing the body has to deal with.

sunrays is offline Registered User
    Make sure they are having vitamin C and zinc tablets/drink supplements as this will help to boost their immune system. I did the short homeopathy course at IMI and can now get rid of runny nose and cough with homeopathic medicines. My 2 year old has never had antibiotics... touch wood it stays this way!

rani is offline Administrator
    Our little guy used to fall sick too often. We took him to IMI and they suggested we give him some vitamins to help build his immunity. We started him on cod liver oil and multi-vitamins. OMG, what a change. He still takes a spoon of cod-liver a day.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Rani which multi-vit do you give him?

Anyone give garlic tablets?

rani is offline Administrator
    We started off with Emergen C and then switched to the Flintstones chewable multi-vitamins. Plus we gave him cod-liver oil.

He now eats a good selection of vegetables, fruit etc. And we've dropped the multi-vitamins and he just has the cod-liver.

mumsy is offline Registered User
    Thanks everyone for the advice. Unfortunately we won't be going away for a while, but I'll definitely look into the vitamins and cod liver oil.

e-mum is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by sunrays View Post
    Make sure they are having vitamin C and zinc tablets/drink supplements as this will help to boost their immune system. I did the short homeopathy course at IMI and can now get rid of runny nose and cough with homeopathic medicines. My 2 year old has never had antibiotics... touch wood it stays this way!
    What does IMI stand for?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast