Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Baby items

steveholy is offline Registered User

Baby items

Hi,

We are getting ready for the arrival of our first child due end of March. We started to buy some essential stuff but many are still missing. One thing that makes shopping harder is the fact that we will be moving out of Hong Kong 4months after the baby is born, and may not take the items with us if shipping becomes too expensive. Further, it does not help that the plugs and voltage requirements will be different in the new place than those in Hong Kong. Hence, no desire to invest in highly expensive or difficult-to-transport baby items.

In particular, we are looking to buy the following:

Baby cot/crib,
    Baby swing,
    Electric bottle sterilizer,
    Diaper changing table,
    Bottle warmer,
    Stroller (have two slings/carriers, so we are not sure if this will be essential),
    etc.

Would you please advise on what particular items to look for? If you have any of these items for sale, we would be very interested in buying, given they are in good working conditions and at reasonable prices.

Thanks.

carang is offline Registered User

for a 4 month old:

forget the stroller for now... you can always buy one later if you find you MUST have one.

forget the changing table. use the floor or a bed. just put a towel down underneath or buy one of the roll up travel mats.

forget an electric steriliser. buy a second hand microwave one. they are cheap, they work well, and you don't have to worry about voltage.

forget a bottle warmer. use the microwave or a cup of boiling water. i have microwaved for 2 kids. i only do it for 20 seconds, then make sure it is thoroughly shaken to eliminate hotspots.

for a bed/cot, buy a second hand one so that if you throw it out afterward, you aren't losing $1000's

would also go for a SMALL baby swing. not all babies like them. you could also opt for a bouncy/vibrating chair. these would take up much less space in a container.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I don`t have any of the items to sell, as I`m a new mom too, but I did have a couple of comments. For the changing table, we don`t have one - we just use a normal long dresser and put a changing pad on top. It works very well for us and is nice with all the drawers for baby`s things underneath. Alternatively, I know IKEA has a very bare bones but cheap changing table - it`s about $150HKD or so.
    For the cot, I don`t know if you`re into it, but we got an Amby Baby Hammock, ordered it from Australia and it took about a week. It`s not super lightweight, but it`s very transportable and comes with a carrying bag.
    I just bought a bottle sterilizer that triples as a bottle warmer and food warmer. The brand is Pidgeon.

For other used goods, aside from geoexpat`s classified section, hongkong.asiaexpat.com has a lot of second hand baby things for sale in their classified section.

Best of luck for your delivery!

In particular, we are looking to buy the following:

Baby cot/crib,
    Baby swing,
    Electric bottle sterilizer,
    Diaper changing table,
    Bottle warmer,
    Stroller (have two slings/carriers, so we are not sure if this will be essential),
    etc.

shenzheniffer, you got the competition's website incorrect.

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)

Hi

We are in the same situation, our baby was born in December and we are leaving HK at the end of March.

At first we didn't buy a change table and used the bed, but it killed our backs. So we got the cheap one from IKEA.

Forget the stroller, use a Baby Bjorn carrier or sling.

We didn't bother with a sterilizer we use the Medela Steam Microwave bags. You just put the bottles in with 60ml water and microwave for 3 min. You can use each bag up to 20 times.

Forget the bottle warmer, you can easily warm the bottle by placing it in a pot of hot water.

I wouldn't bother with the baby swing, just buy a cheap play gym, Bumps 2 Babes are having a sale at the moment.

As for the cot we got the Amby Hammock too, which is easy to pack up and has its own travel bag. It can last up to 1 year so no need to buy a moses basket and you can take your time in getting a cot when you move.

Good luck with your pending arrival.

the trick to using the bed is to sit on the bed beside the baby. you don't stand over it.

jaz1311 is offline Registered User

Hi

Sorry I have nothing to spare my boy is just 3 months old and I am also going back to canada by next month.

If you looking for a baby swing, you can get a reasonable price one at toys R us.

You can also get those vibrating or bouncy chair there.

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    the trick to using the bed is to sit on the bed beside the baby. you don't stand over it.
    We tried that too, just wasn't comfortable. And our boy also used to pee all over our bed!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast