Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Breastfeed and getting sick

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    If you want to increase your milk supply, I'd suggest fenugreek. I was out with pneumonia and was hospitalized and even though I pumped the whole time, there was a drop in my milk supply. Taking fenugreek helped tremendously (as well as putting baby directly to the breast whenever possible). Good luck.

tstmum is offline Registered User
    I can second fenugreek - I, too, was quite sick a couple of times while breastfeeding (nasty, nasty coughs and respiratory infections) and found fenugreek helped. Mother's Milk tea is not to everyone's taste but I also drank 3-4 cups of that a day. I also tried to get as much rest as possible, feed baby more often than usual to stimulate supply and eat well. While I also felt my breasts were less full, and I suspect that my supply dropped temporarily, baby seemed content and within a week or two we were back on track. I didn't give any formula for top ups, but some people try this for a short period while they recover.

joshsmum is offline Registered User
    I think if you just try and get as much rest as possible for a few days you should be ok. I notice if I am tired/sick/stressed that it can feel like my supply has dropped - and I believe it does impact on it, but I've read if you eat well, get plenty of sleep/rest and feed your baby often then it should be ok.

Hope you are feeling better!

Belinda

katelynBB is offline Registered User

Thanks!

I just wanted to thank everyone for all their words and enouragement. It really means a lot to me.
    When I first moved here frm Canada 7 months ago, my biggest miss was my group of mommy friends... but since moving here I've met some great moms and this forum has really been there for me when I needed advice and support. Especially late at night!

I am definitely feeling better about breastfeeding after being sick. I am going to get some of the mother's tea, hope it taste okay.

Katebabe: yup my daughter's name is Katelyn too!

Thanks again everyone!
    ~Theresa~

Katebabe is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by tstmum View Post
    I can second fenugreek - I, too, was quite sick a couple of times while breastfeeding (nasty, nasty coughs and respiratory infections) and found fenugreek helped. Mother's Milk tea is not to everyone's taste but I also drank 3-4 cups of that a day. I also tried to get as much rest as possible, feed baby more often than usual to stimulate supply and eat well. While I also felt my breasts were less full, and I suspect that my supply dropped temporarily, baby seemed content and within a week or two we were back on track. I didn't give any formula for top ups, but some people try this for a short period while they recover.

TSTmum, where can I buy the fenugreek? Would it be too late to take this after expressing milk for 6 months? Can I take this while I'm having the mother's milk tea? Really curious about it! Thanks!

Katebabe is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by katelynBB View Post
    I just wanted to thank everyone for all their words and enouragement. It really means a lot to me.
    When I first moved here frm Canada 7 months ago, my biggest miss was my group of mommy friends... but since moving here I've met some great moms and this forum has really been there for me when I needed advice and support. Especially late at night!

I am definitely feeling better about breastfeeding after being sick. I am going to get some of the mother's tea, hope it taste okay.

Katebabe: yup my daughter's name is Katelyn too!

Thanks again everyone!
    Great to hear that our babies are both called Katelyn. Yes, the mother's milk tea is not to everyone's taste. When I first tried it, it tasted so bad but when I was very desperate for milk supply, I could overcome it finally!

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    I got my fenugreek from Citysuper (Times Square). I still have one bottle left (unopened), which I got for HK$168 90 capsules, 500mg). Expiry date Feb 2010. PM me if interested.

(I'm not taking any now... #2 is almost 22 months and I want to wean her off already).

tstmum is offline Registered User
    See the following thread for a couple of places where you can buy fenugreek:

Fenugreek --where can I get?

I took it while I was also drinking the Mother's Milk tea. Not sure about your Q about how useful fenugreek is after expressing for so long - I assume it would still work?

(PS My brother can't stand the smell of the tea - he called it "curry tea", as it smells a bit like Indian food!! (fenugreek is used quite often in Indian cooking)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12