Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Boracay

southside852 is offline Registered User

Boracay

Has anyone traveled with their little one(s) to Boracay? If so, how child-friendly of an island is it and would love any recommendations on hotels and things to do there!

thanks!

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    To get to Boracay, you'd have to fly in to Manila and then switch to a domestic flight to Caticlan. Once you land, you'd have a ferry ride to get to the island. It's gorgeous there, definitely worth the trip. That said, we haven't been since we had kids. We're waiting until both kids are at least 5 or 6yo before we'd venture there. At the moment, I just think it's a bit too much hassle to get there (with young kids in tow).

Shangri-la is due to open a resort there this March, so that might be a good place to stay with kids. Without kids, you have many many options (rustic bungalows or chalets, etc.), but with kids and young ones at that, I'm not so sure. I'd love to hear from other who've gone with young kids as well. :)

geomum is offline Registered User
    Went to Boracay in Oct 2007 when I was pregnant with my little one, won't go there again even if someone gave me free tickets :)

LeahH is offline Registered User
    Loved Boracay, one of the most beautiful beaches I have been to.

We are planning on going this summer with our 18 month old. We are prob going to go for Discovery Shores hotel wise - down the end of station one (much quieter beach area with a good pool for kids).

Beach is often shallow water so seemed great for toddlers playing when the tide is out, from what I could see.

I was preganant last time we were there, but there were loads of kids at the hotel. In fact the rooms facing onto the pool would be good as you could be in the water while a small baby slept they are so close (but a bit noisy first thing in the morning with kids up early..).

Travel wise, we thought to travel to Manila late afternoon, then stay one night near the airport, travelling to Caticlan first thing the next morning. The ferry is only 10 mins or so once you arrive there, it's really the two flights that are the issue.

Not sure about activities with kids - maybe depends on the ages? We didn't do much when we were there. The boat rides were fun, but maybe not with small kids... watersports not really catering to toddlers - good for older children though (banana boats etc.). The little town is cute and has lots of shops to wander around.

Didn't see any kids clubs of the type the Shangri-La will prob offer, but I'm sure you can arrange childcare etc. through the hotel as they were very helpful. Friday's next door looked good too.

Hope that helps, I'd also like to hear from anyone who's been with kids about the travel aspect.

m2cw2mhk is offline Registered User
    We traveled to boracay in fall 2007 with our 2 year old and had a fantastic time. We stayed in a beach house we rented from SPR Boracay Real Estate with another family and their 2 year old. the other family brought their helper who watched both kids. There was enough room for both families and the helper. travel was a bit crazy but really no problem, it helped that the other family had been there before and lives in Manila so they know their way around.
    the kids were just happy playing in the sand and in the water. my husband and I went snorkeling once while the helper watched the kids.
    had no problem with the kids in restaurants. was a bit sketched out letting my daughter ride on the 'trikes' - motorcycles with a little car on the back that are used as taxis so we walked places more. the little town has cute shops and lots of stuff for kids to look at.
    overall it was a great trip, and the beach is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen.

chrissy2 is offline Registered User
    I just went to Boracay In Jan /09, and I must say depending on how old your little ones are, either you go or dont go....If my kids were under 4/5 years of age I wouldnt go, just because getting to Boracay isnt easy. May sound easy but insnt...Flying to Manila is fine, at Manila, you have to take a taxi to the other airport in Manila, than fly to Caticlan on a very small plane, then take a ferry to Boracay! Its alot of work and a pain in the BUTT! BUT Boracay is cheap and beautiful and the beach is so nice and clean, (at station 1) the water is very blue and has really nice soft sand! Also be careful where you stay because alot of the resorts are located on the noisey part of the beach (station 2) (nice to go there for shopping and eating dinners but thats it, too many locals harrasing you and beach for swimming isnt private or nice)

We stayed at Fridays which is the last resort at the far end of the Beach very private,(station 1) no one bothers you but it is one of the more expensive ones to stay at because of this!

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    our domestic flight from manila was delayed by 6hrs as well so were on the ferry late at night in the pouring rain - then in the rain on the back of a jeep thing to get to the resort. i wouldn't take little ones again. even tho it was fine and they had a nice time.

Scroll to top