Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Avoid Adventist hospital

carang is offline Registered User
    i had a c-section at QMH under general anesthesia (where you are completely asleep), and I, too, wasn't able to seem my baby for 24 hrs as she was upstairs in the special care ward. when they finally brought her down about 30 hours after she was born, i was able to successfully start breastfeeding without any trouble at all. (remember, it's colustrum in the first few days anyway.) she was bf exclusively for the first 6 months.

then again, it was my second baby, so i knew what i was doing.

Katebabe is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by babymommy2 View Post
    That is really awlful. the sucessful Bf rates there must be bad. What a tough start to BF if the baby is getting bottles for 24 hours, and mom can even see the baby. If you were on the maternity ward would your baby be with you or in a nursery? What is the usual practise in hong kong?
    The usual practice for public hospital in HK is that, your baby can stay with you right after you give birth naturally. However, I visited few of my friends who gave birth in private hospital and found that their babies stayed in a centralised nursing room at all times. Mothers were only given 4 times a day (set schedule!) to breastfeed in a room together. Other than that, if they want to visit their baby they can only see the babies through the window by presenting a card (with a number), then the nurse will put the baby trolley by the window for visiting. I went to Baptist hospital in KLN last time & I found that there were a lot of babies (at least 80) in a cetralised nursing room! I wonder how the mother starts the BF to the babies by only given 4 times a day!!!???

I stayed in Matilda & I found the arrangement was perfectly well! They have enough resources to take care your baby , check your status and one-to-one teaching on BF / lactation.

kashismum is offline Registered User
    I've seen and heard too many horror stories that if I was to have a third and couldn't get into the Matilda, I'd go public.
    I was at the Adventist for my first and it wasn't that great then (3 yrs ago).

apples is offline Registered User
    I had a baby at the Adventist in August and had a great experience. The only thing I can complain about is the food but then again, it's a hospital and i didn't go there for its Michelin quality restaurant.

pookey is offline Registered User
    babymommy - normal practice at the adventist on the maternity ward is that the baby can room in with the mother.

Kashismum - i feel exactly the same way. I wish I had booked matilda instead of the adventist. And if I was to have another, I'd definitely go to matilda

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    normal practice at the adventist on the maternity ward is that the baby can room in with the mother.
    If you have a private room, then they allow the baby to room in with you, but if are in a ward (even if it's semi-private), then they let you have the baby with you during the day, but they take the baby back to the nursery for the night and would bring him to you only when he needs to feed (if you insist on breastfeeding).

nino is offline Registered User
    I was put on a floor other than the maternity ward -we were not given a choice on this - and my baby was not allowed up from the nursery to be with me night OR day. Since I had a c-section and couldn't move from the waist down, I could not go down to the nursery to feed or even see my baby after the birth. And once I could move, I didn't have the luxury of having the baby brought to me by the nurses to feed; I received a phone call from the nurses at all hours - as did my room-mate who often slept through her calls (I was woken by her calls and mine) - to come down now because my baby was crying and needed to be fed. Every few hours I would shuffle my way through the hospital to the nursery to feed my baby. It just doesn't make sense that patients who had just been through surgery were forced to WALK to feed - or see - their baby.
    Thankfully, we were successful with breastfeeding and my baby is exclusively breastfed.

BabyC is offline Registered User
    i just had my baby delivered at Adventist Hospital last week and found that there are not enough nurses there. But the nurse at the delivery suite is very experienced

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)