Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Avoid Adventist hospital

Elly2009 is offline Registered User
    I was the one who unfortunately paid for my deposit on Monday before I saw this thread, got so worried and phoned the hospital telling them that I heard that if the maternity ward was full the hospital would stick u to the 5th floor, is that correct? and the administration guy said yes but you never know and I asked if I was put on 5th floor and there was then room back on the Maternity would u move me back there? He said no.

So I argued with him and said if I'd knew the hospital would stick patients in another ward when maternity had no room I wouldn't of have paid the deposit! I said I went to Matilda previously and they don't do this to their patients, did not mentioned at all about wanting a refund, the guy just automatically said let me ask to see if I can get a refund for you and get back to you in a sec.

He called me in 5 mins and said this is a special case and we will fully refund your deposit!

I was so happy! went to the hospital today and got my refund back. I am now booked into Matilda as my last experience with them when I had my first child was great and I enjoyed the freedom I had with my baby.

CherA is offline Registered User
    Hi Elly, I am due in late August too and I just paid the deposit to Adventist. May I know if you are going for a C-section or natural delivery? I heard they only send those who plan for a C-section to the 5/F (surgery floor) if maternity wards are full as that is considered a surgery to them. For natural delivery/ emergency C-section ones they will stay on the maternity floor. Of course that doesn't sound acceptable, but since I'm planning for a natural delivery myself so I am slightly less worried. Or should I? I gave birth to my 1st in Adventist last time and honestly it was quite a pleasant experience...

Elly2009 is offline Registered User
    Hi CherA,

I am planning for a natural delivery. It's not a matter of whether your having natural or caesar, I asked the administration person today myself and he actually confirmed to me that for natural births if no beds are available in the maternity ward at the time they will move u to the surgery ward on the 5th Floor, and even if there was room in maternity after, they will not move u back in Maternity. I stayed with Matilda previously and even if they had no room at the time they will not shove u in another room, I stayed in the delivery room till a few hours later when a room was available in Maternity.

I've not stayed in Adventist when I paid for the deposit there on Monday I also visited my friend at the same time as she had just given birth. She had a room that time but comparing to Matilda, I like Matilda as it gave u a better freedom in accessing your baby and the nurses there are more pro-breast feeding which is what I prefer. My friend's baby was given some glucose syrup by the nurses in Adventist and I don't like this idea at all.

The administration couldn't answer me today when I asked if I definitely stay in the maternity ward and just kept asking me if I was have a caesar, cos he said u would be staying on the 5/f anyway.

cesh is offline Registered User
    Hi, can I ask the people affected by the room change issue were booked to have private rooms or semi-private? (just wondering which rooms might be more readily available).
    My OB did tell me today about the room shortage issue at Adventist, but as I am facing a higher risk delivery, I think Adventist might be a more practical option than Matilda. Then again having my husband with me and the baby in the room after is important to me as well.
    My OB tells me that in a private room I should be able to have the baby with me.
    I'd be going for a natural birth too.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated as this is decision week for us.
    Many thanks.

nino is offline Registered User
    As far as I know, you cannot reserve a room type when you make the initial booking. I think they asked us what type of room we wanted at check-in, but that was pointless as I'm pretty sure they already knew where they were going to put us. We were prepared to take any type of room they had on the maternity ward, but were still put on 5th floor.

pookey is offline Registered User
    At Adventist, you can't book a type of room. They will give you whatever is available. when being admitted, I wanted a private room, but they said only semi-private was available, and only on the 5th floor! after much argument from me, and a call to my OBs, they suddenly 'found' a private room on the 5th floor. I was also ready to take any kind of room on the maternity floor if available. I even asked to stay in a delivery room until a proper room freed up. they really don't consider the patients wishes at Adventist.

alibali is offline Registered User

take a tour before paying deposit

I've also paid a deposit at Adventist (it was recommended by my GP). The hospital also did not mention to me that maternity patients might be put on the 5th floor if no rooms were available on the maternity ward (I assumed that the only rooms we would be put in would be maternity rooms as we are maternity patients...), so I am a bit disappointed by this recent discovery. A nurse on the obstetric ward confirmed this policy to me today. I also could not see any rooms before I paid the deposit as they were all full at the time and I only had 1 week to pay the deposit before the booking would be cancelled. So, I decided to pay the deposit anyway as I had to go private at the last minute.

I finally saw some of the rooms today (2 weeks before I am due to deliver) and, I have to say, they aren't that spectacular considering the money being charged for them. I saw a private room and the labour room. The private room was very average (pros: space for walking around between contractions, tv, shower ; cons: no bath, no camp bed for hubby to sleep on- just a pull out cushion thing for the floor) and as for the labour room 1) the jacuzzi advertised in the obstetrics brochure is not in the labour room itself, it's off the hallway, which means that it could be in use by patients in the 2 other labour rooms 2) there is nowhere for hubby to sleep in the labour room- just a very uncomfortable chair! I would have thought there would be a reclining chair or ottoman or the like in a private hospital environment. I would highly recommend to other people to see the rooms before paying the deposit. You basically need to call the day you plan to visit and ask the obstetrics unit what rooms are available for you to see- I've been there twice now and still haven't seen semi-private rooms. However, the hospital was recommended by my GP as being a bit more capable of handling emergencies than Matilda!

BabyC is offline Registered User
    you cannot book the type of room and they will give you whatever they have

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)