Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Gestational diabetes - what to eat?

carey is offline Registered User

Hi Crystal, Thank you for your reply. Could you share your recipe for dips?

I am hoping to have an appointment with the dietitian early next week. Will share what she recommend.

By the way, when we are viewing this thread, this site shows SIMILAR THREADS at the lower part the computer. There are quite a bit of useful info regarding GD there too, if you are interested.

crystal88 is offline Registered User

Hi Carey,

I just prepare hummus (chickpeas), sun dried tomato dip, avocado dip, or buy philadelphia cream cheese and i'm happy with it.

Yes, pls share your dietitian's recipe, i'll appreciate that.

HappyV is offline Registered User

The carbs in fruit are completely different from the carbs in bread/pasta/rice. etc etc.
    I would find that my levels would shoot up with any of the above, but that I was fine with fruit.
    The first couple of weeks, be very strict. Then experiment with different foods - you'll soon work out what affects you - and out bodies all work differently.
    A word of advice - I saw the dietician at QMH with both my pregnancies. The advice they give me was complete rubbish. Fortunately, I have a girlfriend who works for an overseas diabetes group - she gave me much better advice. So be careful who you see - do your research!!

2boys is offline Registered User

Hi

Good luck with the diets. GD is not much fun even if it's a mild case (as mine was) I had GD with my second and could control my insulin levels with diet except for my levels overnight so had to jab myself once a day. I was allowed 12 serves of carbohydrate per day but no more than 2 per meal so I ended up having about 5 or 6 'meals' per day. One serve is 15g of carb. You need carbs so don't give them up completely. Eating was a pain because of the need to eat lots of veggies and meat rather than rice/pasta/bread. I was told to eat only basmati rice and soughdough bread because they have lower levels of carbohydrate than their counterparts on the market. I ended up eating more diary and egg and meat than I normally like, only ate a little fruit because that sent my sugar levels soaring. My diet was quite bland as the asian sauces that I like have high carbohydrate levels with Japanese and Indian food being some of the worst. I lost quite a lot of weight but had a healthy and happy boy in the end who is now almost 2. Good luck.

Hi Crystal88, Sorry to have taken this long to share what my dietitian’s recommendation. I have been taking my time trying to get used to the new diet. Since I started, I often feel hungry between meals and snacks. This means I feel tired and I sometimes just lie down and rest when I can.

I think the dietitian I saw at the Union hospital is helpful. She encouraged me to call her if I have more questions after my first appointment. I did call two days after our appointment, she returned my call as soon as she could.

Anyway, my dietitian did not exactly give me any recipes to follow.. But like many ladies have mentioned in this forum, the key is to keep your carb intake on tap. Carbs are mostly from rice/bread/fruit… or anything that is naturally or not naturally sweet.

So, These are my dietitian recommendations to me: (I suppose it depends on how serious one’s situation is. So, I can’t say this is for everyone.)

Breakfast: 40 carb
    Morning Snack: 10 carb
    Lunch: 40-50 carb
    Afternoon Snack: 20 carb
    Supper: 40-50 carb
    Evening Snack: 20 carb

Timing: At least four hours between main meals and 2.5 hour between snacks and main meal. That means you can start your breakfast as early or as late as you want, but make sure you wait for at least 2.5 hour before you take your first snack and 4 hours for the next meal.

What I can drink and eat:
    Drinks: water ( with lemon slices)
    Or Skim milk

Food: no junk/fried/ sweet food.

For breakfast: 40g of carb, which equals to
     2 slices of whole wheat bread + 2 slices kraft 97% cheese
     Or 6 tables spoons of oat meal + a cup of skim milk

For lunch and supper:

40-50g worth of most carbs from rice/bread/pasta, which means about 5 table spoon of rice, 2 slices of whole wheat bread and 8 table spoon of macaroni.

Plus: 3 ounces of lean meat and 2 cups of veges + unlimited amount of clear soup

I am able to control my blood sugar level ( with home pricking kit) between 4.9 to 5.9 with a 20 mins walk after lunch and supper. I even lost weight during the first week ( not sure if it's a good thing, will call the nurse to find out). I am getting used to this diet after a week of it.

I am ordered to go back to the hospital 2 hours after each meal in the same day for a blood test after one week of this diet. I guess it's to determine how well it work for me.

Good luck with sticking to a low carb diet for all of us. And Thank you for sharing.

Hi Carey,

Thanks for detailed explanation. I avoid wheat bread too, and eat one bowl of oats every morning. I'll follow your advise.

Hi Carey,

How about fruits? Thanks.

Hi Crystal,
    Fruits can't be taken right after your main meal.

It's recommended to me to only take it as a snack, which means the portion of fruit taken should contain less than 10g of carbs for morning snack and 20g for afternoon and night time snack.

In the booklet I got from the dietitian, one serving of fruit equal to 10g of carb.
    So, when I take afternoon and morning snack, if I want fruit, I can take two serving of it.

I am listing below some of the fruit that i can take two serving as snack ( for the fruit I do not list, you could go online to this website to check on its carb http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/C...sp?FoodID=1129, and take a appropriate amount)
    1/2 orange;
    1/2 medium apple;
    1/2 pear
    banana ( 8 cm)
    1/2 grapefruit

Some other fruits I am only allowed to take 1 serving although does matter is for morning, afternoon or night time snack: ( I guess it's because it contains more carb? I am not sure). They are:

1 kiwi fruit
    1 plum
    10 ( small) grapes or 5 big ones
    6 (small) strawberry

I am going to PM you a PDF file call " managing GD". I find it a useful reading.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast