Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gestational diabetes - what to eat?

crystal88 is offline Registered User

Gestational diabetes - what to eat?

I'm 32 weeks, second pregnancy, as expected, GD strikes back.

8 more weeks of dietary hell. I should cut down or remove all carbs, sugar, and fruits.

Any tips on what else to eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner and esp snacks? Been eating meat/steaks with vege but it's not enough and i'm not a meat eater. Hard boiled eggs, cheese, milk for snacks.
    Pls help as i'm always hungry

kiwiinoz is offline Registered User
    I can only share what I experienced during my 'torture' of GD... but these are the rules I got the lecture about...

You can have 1/2 a banana, or a couple of biscuits (cookies) as a snack as well (but check the carb content per serving to see how many you can have). Small apples aren't too bad either. Salads (lettuce/tomato) are also 'safe'. Some breads are also ok to have a slice or two... normally soy/linseed type ones. But it is all about reading the labels and working out how many carbs per serving (and what a serving is). Stay away from oranges/orange juice as it will send your readings rocketing.

The trick is to space the snacks out and try not to have more than 15 g carb per 'eating session' (although you probably know this from your nutritionist). You can eat a 'snack' every hour or two. If you're doing blood tests on yourself, you can also watch how different food affect your blood sugars and work out what you can have 'more' of and what the ideal gap between 'carb' snacks is. For example, cereals sent my readings through the roof, even though they were supposed to be 'good'.

In terms of main meals, the trick to remember is the limit on carbs. You shouldn't cut them out completely. So you can have a maximum of a cup of rice with dinner, or a cup and 1/2 of spaghetti, or 1 potato (in any way you like it). However, where you can be hit unexpectedly is with any sauces... so you need to check the carb/serving on sauces as well before using them, and be wary of your white cream sauces which are normally higher in carb content.
    The low-fat stuff should be avoided as it tends to have higher carbs than normal stuff.

I can completely relate to your dilemma as I had GD with my second from 20ish weeks and was miserable to the point of developing anti-natal depression.
    I was able to manage the GD for about 10 weeks with the low-carb "diet" before my body 'gave up despite sticking to the rules' and had to go on insulin (fun with a needle phobia I tell ya).
    Good luck, and fingers crossed you can get through it quickly... although I know from experience 8 weeks seems like forever with the shadow of GD over you.

Kiwinoz,

Thanks for your tips, i'll keep that in mind. I have bought lots of celery, cucumber, with home made dips for my snacks. Surviving the 2nd day, i feel that i'm losing weight now.

slamdunk is offline Registered User
    Hi Crystal88
    I've just survived GD with my 2nd (didn't have for my 1st) and managed to not feel too hungry (most of the time).

I work and most of the time i was distracted from any hunger..! For lunch i would have grilled fish or a 1/4 roast chicken with some cooked veggie salad (i remember stronger flavours made me feel more satisfied), or have a big salad with tuna/chicken. My snack options (being at work) were limited, and I often had nuts (big handful!), cheese (babybels) with one wheat cracker, or baby carrots (or other veggie) with hummous or other dip like babaganoush (home made or shop bought).

Also got my helper to make home made falafel (we used internet recipe) which were delicious and very filling. We also used lentils more (in curries/stew) with meat to bulk up the meals. My carb intake was limited like kiwiinoz and I avoided at lunch having brown toast (1 piece) in morning and cup of brown rice/pasta in evening.

Also had a daily glass of water with psyllium husk (which is filling) with a small snack (e.g. avocado or cherry tomatoes) which was great for fibre too.

Overall, I managed to avoid insulin and dropped a little weight from "me" which I was carrying extra (my baby this time was a healthy 7lb 10).

Hope that helps you.

fee
    fee is offline Registered User
    check out www.glycemicindex.com

Click on GI Database and you can input any type of food you want and it will give you the glycemic index. Generally, the lower the GI the more ok the food is to eat. You will be surprised what you can actually eat! (e.g. Dried apricots are actually better than apples) With insulan issues it is not so much about how much carbs you eat but they way they are metabolised into the blood stream and in low GI (sub 50) foods the carbs are metabolised slowly over time.

My obstetrician is fully supporting my use of the glycemic index to control my blood sugars. I do not have GD (yet!) but am inuslan resistant outside of pregnancy (more like Type 2 diabetes)

carey is offline Registered User
    Hi ladies,
    I am 26 weeks with my first and just diagnosed with GD. I am at a lost regarding what to eat. I am supposed to schedule an appointment to see a dietitian ASAP. Also, I need to do my own sugar blood test with a kit at home.

For now, I have been researching on line and trying to find what I can eat. The depressing thing is that even I stick to this diet, I often feel hungry. Since I only work part time, I beginning to think that I have too much time to think about being hungry.

Please keep sharing with me what you are doing so that I can draw support from here.

I am really concerned how this might affect the fetus. When I had the last scan in my 26 weeks, the fetus was one week bigger than the estimation. I know this must have been the effect of GD.

How about for those of you who were affected. Was your babies born bigger?

I am still trying to get over this emotionally. But I should have known too because I have a family history of Diabetes.

Thank you.

Hi Carey,

Just stick to NO sugar, no carbs (a little or half cup) and you will survive. It's good you are seeing a dietitian and taking your blood test at home. My OB did not recommend it, so i'm at a lost on what to eat and how's my sugar level.

I'm 34 weeks now, been doing this diet for 2 weeks now. I still don't eat carbs, i avoid it as much as possible, more of meats and vege. I make different kinds of dips so i have something to dip with my cucumber and celery. Update me too what is the recommendation of your dietitician.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast