Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

12 week scan at ysan yuk... need help!

canadamommy is offline Registered User

12 week scan at ysan yuk... need help!

Hi I am 8 weeks and due end of September. This is my second child, but my first pregnancy here in Hong Kong. I have booked my first appt. at Tsan Yuk Hospital and as I understand they will book me a 12 week scan at this appointment. (They would only book me in the earliest at 11 weeks, and then I need the scan done the following week, so I am concerned they will say it is too late to book the scan once I go in!)

Also, I was told by a friend that since I am under 35 years old (I am 33) I may not be offered the nuchal (down's syndrome testing) at this scan. Is this true? Do you have to be over 35 to get this testing done? If so, should I book a private scan as well so I can get this done? I'd rather know before I go in so I can get the private one booked in advance. Thanks for any help/info you can give me! I really appreciate it. I found it very difficult to understand the receptionist and I am getting very stressed by all of this!

louloute is offline Registered User

Hi,

I go the private way like you do, and I am surprise that they proposed an ultrasound to you at 12 weeks .
    Usually, if you go public, they don't perform scans unless the palpation exam or previous history make the doctor decide that their is a need of extra care.

The public hospital (or MCHC) will perform blood tests and urine tests, weight, pulse, and doctor basic visits for free.
    The Down Syndrome scan is performed for free if you are more than 35 of age.
    If you want ultrasounds, Down Syndrome or other exams, you have to pay for it by seeing a private obstetrician.

Hope this helps

carang is offline Registered User

lou, your information regarding the performance of scans is completely incorrect.

they usually perform 2 scans:
    one at 12 weeks
    one at 20 weeks (this one is VERY in-depth and takes around 30+ minutes)

if there are ANY problems with your pregnancy, they will perform more. over 2 pregnancies, i think i had about 18 scans! i had high blood pressure and they wanted to make sure the baby was growing properly.

if you are UNDER 35, then you CAN have the nuchal test done, but you PAY for it. it's around $1000 or so. i chose with my last one, not to have it done. i figured i was going to keep the baby anyway, so it didn't really matter to me. at the time, i was 34 years old.

goodbye kitty is offline Registered User

I was at Tsan Yuk this weekend to register. The first appointment is simply to take a case history and blood and provide you with information. They then book an appointment for around 12 weeks. I was told categorically that I would NOT get a 12 week scan but would get the chance to use the doppler at this appointment (this is despite an early threatened miscarriage and a visit to the Early Pregnancy Assessment Unit in QM). The nurse advised me to see a private doctor if I had any concerns. You can book with their affliated private practice, Lady Helen Woo Centre. The NT scan is $1290 or normal U/S and consultation $1100

http://www.hku.hk/obsgyn/clinicalServ/lhww/main.htm

I was given an appointment for my ~20 week scan at the registration and it looks like this is the only one I will get through the public system. You are also correct that NT testing is not offered to mothers under 35.

I have organised a 12 week scan privately to check that all is still well before I break the news.

Hope this helps

carang is offline Registered User

if that is the case, then my humblest apologies. i had my daughter 2 years ago, but now that i think about it, it was 4 years ago that i had my son and used tsan yuk.

for my daughter, i was using QMH as it was a high-risk.

i do apologise if my information is incorrect. when i had my son, it was correct.... obviously things have changed since then.

i'm sorry.

goodbye kitty is offline Registered User

Canadamommy - you should also join the due in September group!

Carang - I was certain I'd get a 12 week scan too...I guess that they have cut back on 'non essential' procedures??

Thanks so much, ladies! It is so much better to go in knowing more or less what to expect. I think I will book a private scan as well as the public since I really want the nuchal test done. Any recommendations for good obgyns? Reasonably priced would be good too!

Oh, I've just thought of another question: I am planning to give birth at QMH. Do I need to call them directly and register for the birth or when I go to Tsan Yuk for my appt. will they take care of that for me? Thx again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast