Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Which Hospital to Choose?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I also really considered Union to deliver in (when I was thinking of doing it in HK - I ended up deciding on GZ).
    I saw Dr. Ng a few times. I really liked him. His English was fluent, and his manner was very nice - he even got excited to see and explain the ultrasound of my son.
    I didn`t choose Union mainly bc I decided on GZ since we live in SZ. BUT after my tour, I have to say I was really turned off with the fact that the babies have to stay in a nursery and then the hospital decides when they are all hungry (at the same time!). I was told that even if you get a private room, unless you had a 24 hr private nurse or midwife, the baby also could not stay in your room all the time. I ended up staying in the hospital for 6 days (5 days recovery from C-section) and if I didn`t have my baby with me, I would have felt just awful.
    But as Ai Li said, the upside is that you can learn BF and diaper changing from the nurses and also other women there, so I think that is pretty valuable.
    Another thing I hated was that the fathers could not meet with the baby. I think they could see them through glass at a prescribed time each day.
    Overall, Union is very much a profitable business run by businesspeople. If it weren`t for doctors like Dr. Ng and the other one that people recommended it, I wouldn`t think twice about this place.
    But the location is very good if you`re coming from Mainland.

By the way, if you are coming from mainland and are interested to hear about the hospital I had my baby at in GZ, please PM me. I had a really good experience there (despite having to have an unexpected C-section).

niahbear is offline Registered User

Such great info!

Thanks for all of your comments so far. All of the information is quite helpful.

I'm not sure how I would feel having my child on the 2nd floor while I was on the 11th though to breastfeed. Will the nurses at Union bring your baby to you if you are not it a private room?

I'm Canadian and I'm a big fan of breastfeeding. One of the biggest things when I first started breastfeeding my first child, is that the sound of her cry would actually help my breastmilk to come in. When I was at the Queen Mary, she was in the nursery on the same floor. I could actually hear her from my bed and would know that it was time to try to feed her. However, it also meant that I didn't get much rest! But I was much too excited to care!

Anyway, here is something I would like to share with all new-to-be mothers who wish to BF:

When your baby is born they are NOT hungry! The trend here is to immediately begin giving them formula! This is only necessary if your milk is slow to come in. PLEASE!!! Insist on BF your infant as soon as you can! It took two days for my milk to fully come in and in that time I was able to produce colostrum. I insisted on having my baby brought back to me as soon as possible and I began trying to breastfeed within an hour of delivery! This was such a wonderful moment! (Notice that I said the word TRYING, it didn't happen right away, it took weeks for the two of us to learn how to BF)

Anyway, Colostrum is the key. This small amount of fluid is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT and I found it funny that the nurses thought that I should try to pump a bottle of it! It is only a small amount but it is packed with vitamins, antibodies, and everything your child needs during the first few days of life!

The nurses in some of the hospitals try to 'convince' you that you need to give your baby a bottle sized amount of formula within 12 hours of their birth or your child is going to suffer. This is just not helpful or true. Not only does this attitude cause you stress which in turn causes your milk to come in slowly BUT it makes you feel like you are a bad mother! Sometimes this process takes time but don't give up! Practice, practice, practice and no matter how frustrated you feel, know that it will happen, your body knows what to do!

Anyway, this is just my OPINION. Good luck to all of you!

carey is offline Registered User
    Hi niahbear, helpful to learn about the BF info.

By the way, if you have not read the thread "Avoid Adventist hospital", you should because different BF mums talked about their birth experience at different hospitals.

I think one of them concluded that QHM is actually good for baby rooming in.

niahbear is offline Registered User

Where to Have My 2nd Bub!!

Thanks for link to thread about the Adventist, very interesting info!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    To follow up on Niahbear`s breastfeeding advice, here`s my experience 6 weeks ago (in GZ hospital):
    I had an unexpected c-section and with that and the grueling labour before it, it slipped my mind to tell anyone NOT to give my baby a bottle. Anyway, at that hospital you can`t hold your baby for 6 hrs after the c-section (which were 6 terrible hrs). About 2 hrs after he was born, they stuck a bottle in his mouth. They later bragged that he took 50 mls of formula. I was too out of it and too in love with my new baby to smack them.
    Anyway, what followed was an extremely hungry and insatiable baby who gummed my nipples to tears. We had to top him up in the hospital bc even my colostrum was not enough and I got pressured from everyone (even my husband) to do so. I stopped doing that 3 days later and he has been solely breastfed ever since. But we have had a tough time - I still don`t think his latch is proper half the time, but I just suffer through it (since I can`t see a LC here on mainland), and it took many painful and tear-filled sessions to get where I am today, which ain`t the best place, but it could be worse.
    I blame the bottle being shoved in his mouth at 2 hrs old. But funnily enough, when I re-introduced the bottle last week (for EBM in the future perhaps) it was rejected, though when I changed nipples it was cautiously accepted for a few minutes and then spit out. Then he went back to gumming my nipples, bless his heart:)

dmk cheung is offline Registered User
    I think if you would like to BF your Baby, providing that you don't mind paying a bit extra and you don't mind giving birth in HK island. Matilda is your best choice.
    I gave birth to my daughter late January in Matilda. I have no idea of Breasting feeding but Matilda is a hospital that encourage breast feeding so much that I don't really see much formula in their nursery, they give me my baby around 2 hours after my c-section and I started breast feeding from my baby's first meal. they have midwives helping you 24 hours a day. So breasting feeding comes naturally for me, I didn't came across any problem which some other mothers encounter e.g. sore nipple etc as midwives came to check me out every 15 min to see if I am doing correctly. Everyone is so kind there and the hospital is so beautiful. Food choice is excellence and most importantly, you baby can be next to you all day long unlike other hospital in Hong Kong that you can only see your baby in the nursery which you need to walk all the way to it after your operation. In addition, my husband stayed with me all the time in the hospital and they don't charge me extra for my husband to stay with me overnight. My experience of giving birth cannot be better!

carang is offline Registered User
    umm.... 'A BIT MORE'...
    have you actually paid your bill yet?
    my bill from QMH was less than $500.... i have a feeling that your bill was A HECK OF A LOT more than that at Matilda. probably a minimum of 100X what i paid, possibly 200X.
    (LOL!)
    QMH encourages you to have your baby beside you, although they do have a nursery when the baby can go if you REALLY need some rest.

dmk cheung is offline Registered User
    Yes Carang, I have already paid my bill.
    You of course we cannot compare the bill of a public hospital to a private. And what I think Niahbear wants is a recommendation on a private hospital. Which is why I recommend Matilda. I don't know of Niahbear is a Hong Kong resident, if not, the private ward of QMH is also very expensive. But I am sure QMH is the best public hospital in Hong Kong.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast