Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

routine for 6 mths - solid introduction

augustbump is offline Registered User

routine for 6 mths - solid introduction

Hello everyone

I am very confused in regards to feeding solid to my 6 mths old baby. I started introducing solid to her 3 weeks ago but I think I may be doing it wrongly ie feeding the wrong time or wrong food group or wrong quantity.

She is currently feeding 4 times of formula milk at 4 hours interval. Each feed is around 160-220ml depending on her appetite.

11-12ish ( depending on nap hours)
    3ish ( depending on nap hours)

Is there a good book or reference site which can guide me in regards to this matter ie like what to feed, when to feed and how to ease the transition from reducing milk intake to increasing solid intake?

I know there is the Gina Ford book on Weaning baby . I must say I am not a fan of Gina Ford. Any others out there?

Or can someone please share with me their initial routine when first weaning with their bubs?

appreciate it!

Smiles is offline Registered User
    Happy Valley
    My sister used Annabel Karmel's 'New Complete Baby and Toddler Meal Planner' when she weaned her son. Has great receipes too!

southside852 is offline Registered User
    yes, i used Annabel Karmel's Top 100 Purees and her Feeding Baby & Toddler books. Like you, I am not a fan of Gina Ford either:

there's really no right way to wean, as everyone does it a little differently and babies respond to food so differently. My friend really just began weaning her son at almost 8 months. In the early stages of weaning, I offered rice cereal/purees at every feeding because my son just had to get used to act of throwing back food with his tongue and then swallowing. If he didn't accept it during one feed, I would just try again the next. If he did take it, I would just feed little spoonfuls until he no longer had any interest in it. Once he got the act of eating down, I moved towards more regular feeding times and thicker foods like adults - breakfast, lunch and dinner. In between he would have a bottle of formula. At around 7-8 months, his routine looked like this (and still does at 13 months):

7am: breakfast (oatmeal, toast, congee etc..)
    10: bottle and snack -fruit (banana, avocado etc..)
    12/12:30: lunch (pasta, chicken or meat)
    3pm: bottle and snack (fruit, cheerios, biscuit)
    5:30/6: dinner (if he had pasta for lunch, meat for dinner, if he head chicken for lunch, meat for dinner etc...)
    7pm: bedtime
    My son drank water at a very early age so snacks were always with water from around 8 months old.

Some other good websites for weaning/recipes:

Hope this helps!

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User
    Lantau Island
    I am a huge fan of the book Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. She has very detailed instructions / information on when and what to feed. She is also very pro making your own food so it depends if you are up for that. I have used her book since I first introduced solids and still use it to this day for my LO at 11 months. Another good website is

Good luck! Things will get much easier as you get the hang of it. Actually at this stage, solid food is primarily for experimentation so you don't want to decrease the milk intake for quite awhile. Milk should be the main source of nutrients until 1 year of age. When I started feeding solids at 6 months, I introduced very slowly. I started with feeding in the morning around 8am and then added an evening feed around 5:30. Lastly I added a midday feed at around noon. I did not change my milk feeds at all.
    Last edited by cyberfish88; 02-19-2009 at 09:16 AM. Reason: corrected website

apples is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I have a 6 month old daughter as well and am doing pretty much what you are doing with her formula. I am only giving her one solid feed a day at around 5pm and it seems to be working. Every day she eats a little bit more and is sleeping better at night. I think I will wait a couple of weeks before adding another one in the morning.
    Don't worry too much about what the books say. Every baby is different and their needs are different. What works for you and your baby is usually the best thing.

augustbump is offline Registered User
    hello all!

thanks for all the information! what a superb support group we have here in HK!

will check out all the websites and the books recommended when bubs is asleep (and when my brain is able to absorb more information)

I am so afraid that I am underfeeding or "wrong"feeding her. Never in a million years would I have thot that motherhood is that challenging and that mind boggling!

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    its worthwhile looking at the gina ford book - even if you are not a fan - as it is really helpful in the early weeks for guidelines on amounts etc.
    I use her book in conjunction with Annabel Karmel and also basic advice in Baby Love by Robin Barker (great book!!)

i know a few anti-GF people who have found her weaning guide helpful in getting started.