Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

10th Month Old BF Baby Won't Take Any Water/Liquids - Any Advice?

diylim is offline Registered User
    Thank you mommies for your responses. My girl started refusing bottles of EBM at 6 months (she used to take them before that). I did try giving her a cup but didn't persist on it. I guess I should just keep on trying and see how it goes.

Putput - what brand of cup did you get? I am interested to try that too and hopefully it will work.

AussieMum is offline Registered User
    I just thought that I would add that my daughter was formula fed upto 12 months, from a milk bottle (avent) but still would not take any other fluids (water, juice) even though I continued to offer them to her for months. I tried different water bottles but she just didn't seem to get it. Once she turned 12 months though, we dropped the daytime milk feed, and her food intake significantly increased, and I offered her a tommy tippee sipper cup (it has a straw and flip over top) which took her a week or two to understand, but once she got the hang of it, she now drinks around 2 cups of water or more in a day, plus her two milk feeds (morning and night). It may have been the new cup, or her being old enough to understand the cup, but I honestly think it was dropping the middle of the day milk feed that worked.
    I guess I am just trying to say that it is not uncommon for them to reject water and other fluids at this stage, they will get there. The benefit you have is your still breast feeding, so providing your fluid intake is adequate, your baby should still be getting sufficient nutrients through you. Best of luck!

wanfamily is offline Registered User
    I did the same as Mummyof 2 - went straight to a regular cup and it worked well with my first. Doing the same with my second (9 months) now. He too is totally bf. I started giving him the cup a few weeks ago. At first he did nothing but play with it and get water everywhere. Now he's getting the hang of it and will drink a bit before I offer him his after meal bf.
    Good luck!

putput is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Hi diylim,

It's the trainer cup from mothercare. It's pink and green and has 3 stages (cup etc) - I put her straight on the cup stage and my daughter drinks water and juices from it. It took her a week or so to get the hang of it.

Best of luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12