Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

baby awakes a few times during the night

BabyC is offline Registered User

baby awakes a few times during the night

my baby is 12 days old and she seems very frightened at night and couldn't have deep sleep and awake for a few times every night

we have tried to switch on the lights during the night but baby still seems to be quite frightened

baby has quite good sleep during the day though

does anyone have the same experience?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Not with my baby, who actually doesn`t like daytime sleep, but my friend was complaining that one of her twins is very frightened of the night. She attributed it to the fact that their nursery at the hospital was always noisy and he wasn`t used to the peace and quiet. I`m sure it will be something your baby will get used to.
    Have you thought about a white noise machine or something similar?
    Also, your baby is only 12 days old so it will be waking often anyway. Mine is 6 weeks and is always making noises so it seems like he`s not sleeping at all, at least not a deep sleep. but he gets rested somehow. He wakes up every 1.5-3 hrs in the night.

MLBW Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyC View Post
    my baby is 12 days old and she seems very frightened at night and couldn't have deep sleep and awake for a few times every night

we have tried to switch on the lights during the night but baby still seems to be quite frightened

baby has quite good sleep during the day though

does anyone have the same experience?
    Because your baby is a newborn, this is common. It is normal for newborn babies to wake up several times a night--especially to eat.

Most babies come out of the womb confused about what is day and what is night. The baby is probably not "frightened" of the nighttime or needs more lights to feel comforted (they have been inside the womb for 40 weeks--which is not a very "bright" place to be)--instead the baby is just adjusting to how things work in the world outside of the womb. For some babies it takes a long time to adjust and get a schedule that is more like what adults have (awake during the day, sleeping at night). I recommend looking at the book ""The Happiest Baby On The Block" by Harvey Karp. Although, like all books, this one will not guarantee a "solution" to your newborn's sleep difficulties--it does give a good place to start.

For example, I have friends who have a 2-month-old who was still having really big difficulties sleeping at night. I just ran into the father today on the street and asked him about the situation. They really had tried everything they knew to do--then they remembered that at the hospital they had been taught to swaddle (wrap tightly) the baby. This imitates the feeling the baby had in the womb--of being held securely by the mother's body and can be soothing for some babies. So, our friends just started swaddling their daughter very tightly and now she sleeps much, much better. So, check out the book and website if you have time.

And just be prepared that sometimes some babies take a long, long time (mine took 5 months!) to start really sleeping well at night.

carang is offline Registered User
    agree with MLBW.

do you swaddle your baby? that might be the best thing to do to start. if you wrap them up fairly tightly, then their muscles don't have the ability to twitch. often this twitching will wake them up.

12 days old is still very, very, very young. how often are you feeding the baby?

turning on the lights for such a new baby will have no effect. you might as well just leave them off and try to comfort your baby.

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    ours took 6mths to sleep through and my younger son cried a lot for no apparent reason for the first 4mths - colic. Usually if babies wake up crying it's because they are hungry. usually every 2-3hrs newborn babies should be having a feeding.

hang in there, your baby is really little and will likely cry and be up at night for the next little while. try swaddling or if your baby is not in a moses basket, try putting your baby perpendicular in the crib so she feels safer.

Dink is offline Registered User
    Hey there - I'm a new mum too, my little girl is 9 days old and was a bit like your little one to begin with... days and nights mixed up. Its a big adjustment for them coming home to this completely new environment I think. She's sleeping much better at night now - we swaddle which I think makes her feel more secure, and she sleeps in the moses basket beside me. I feel the same about the lights, I think if they go to sleep with the light on then wake up with the light off, it is disorientating. What I do now is just leave the curtain open a little so just a tiny bit of light comes in for when she wakes.... I don't know, probably just makes mum feel better!! And I'm looking for a really dim lamp so its just enough to see to feed her by at night without making the room really bright. She has got into a bit of a pattern now, loosely based on the guidance from the Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems book, which seems to suit her. Another thing which I would recommend is trying a pacifier. My little one seems to find this a comfort, and is breast fed with no confusion between the pacifier and the breast.... this advice came from my mum and works a treat.

Good luck, its hard when they won't sleep isn't it, we will get there in the end!

Take care,
    x

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    We played a CD called "Sounds of Silence" to my newborn. It was just white noise and other sounds which are similar to the sounds a baby would of heard while still in the womb. We had it up rather loud and it was very soothing for him and he settled down to sleep alot easier. Newborns are used to alot of noise as the womb is a noisy place so complete silence can be unsettling for them.

Keep up the swaddling too, that will also be very comforting even though it may seem your baby is fighting it.

BabyC is offline Registered User
    we actually swaddle her and put her in the moses basket all day

i think the problem is - she sleeps too much during the day and stays awake during the night

will go buy some CDs to play during the night to see if baby will sleep better

thx all for the advice

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast