Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What food to take on plane for 1 year old?

sherwes is offline Registered User
    My baby also won't eat jar food. On long flights I take homecooked food straight from the freezer. By the time I am ready for him to eat it, it has almost defrosted and then I just ask the stewardess to heat it up. This works particularly well if your bub won't be eating the food for say 5-6 hours after you leave home and you want it to stay chilled so no bacteria grows before eats it. You just have to time it well so that you don't have the food sitting around at room temperature.

The important thing to remember is that it can take 20mins+ to have the food warmed up on the plane so ask before your bub is hungry. I haven't asked them to keep the uneaten portions as I usually just throw that out.

Also, take heaps of snacks - fruit, rice cakes, sultanas etc.

The other thing I take on long flights is formula milk. My baby doesn't drink formula anymore (just cows milk) but I find that bottles of formula keep him occupied and full in case he is too over excited to eat much. Sucking on the bottle keeps him calm and helps him get to sleep on the plane which is very important to me!!

My next trip to Oz is in about 3 weeks and I have ordered a child's meal for him. I will bring back up food though in case the child's meal is not nice.

I hope the flight goes well. The last flight we did from Oz our baby only fell asleep 30 mins before landing. He spent the rest of the time making a LOT of loud noise and trying to get under the feet of the airline staff when they were carrying hot coffee. I think he sat down for 30 mins max and he was specifically interested in "talking to" the passangers who were trying to sleep. I think I was the most hated person on the flight!! After that experience I can survive anything....

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    I didn't take jar food either, not after age 9 months. I would order child meals and I would bring bananas, apple sauce, crackers, bread, waffles, other fruits, raisins, rice cakes, sultana, cereal bars, etc. That's plenty for a 1 yo to eat in a 8-9 hour time frame, especially overnight when they usually don't eat.

fairy-godmother is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    My dd was 18mths when we went to Melb. on CX. we brought her a ticket and requested the child's meal. From memory, there were meatball noodles, hamburgers, sandwiches & biscuits but we thought the meals were more suitable for children over 2. my child hated and the father ate it all.

They also offered us Heinz jar food but my dd much preferred her own milk bottle.

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    was just talking about this to hubby tonight.

both of my kids love the "hot dog buns" they are the buns that actually have the hot dog baked into it, similare to a "pig in a blanket". i think on my next trip, i'm going to take a couple of them for each of my kids.

donkey is offline Registered User
    hong kong
    Thanks guys all very helpful advices. I am definitely taking banana, avocado (hope i can find a ripe one!), yoghurt, cheerios and some jar food. I had already tried different jar food with bub to prepare him and he seems to be fine with them - lucky!

Sherwes, I also think that he will not sleep and will do exactly what you just described! May try to do a day flight instead of an overnight flight so that he will not disturb other passengers too much....

southside852 is offline Registered User
    We just got back from a trip on Cathay. Cathay gives Heinz jars as their baby meal. We took tons of finger foods which helps, but it also gets everywhere. Bananas are great as well as avocadoes.

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    for finger foods, there are now these freeze dried fruits apples, banana, persimmons, etc. my toddler loves them!! we put them into a cup on the plane so he can eat them by himself and becomes an activity.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12