Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What food to take on plane for 1 year old?

donkey is offline Registered User

What food to take on plane for 1 year old?

We will fly to Australia in the next few weeks and am wondering what other mommies will normally take on plane - do you take freshly cooked food or canned? Does the airplane has facilities like fridge to keep the uneaten food and also heat up food?

I think the flight is 8 hours so it will be one to two meal...

AussieMum is offline Registered User
    Hiya! Every time we fly to Oz we always try and take jar food. Sometimes they take it off us when we go through customs. We now phone ahead of time or at time of booking advise that we are bringing a 1 year old and they often cater to their needs by providing Heinz jar food and drinks (This is with Qantas). We do often try and sneak it on though as we have been caught out with flavours that our daughter will not eat. Bear in mind too that if you can buy under 100mls then you are allowed to take on flight. It is 8 - 9 hours to Sydney/Melbourne. xox

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    We always bring our own jar food and baby rice cereal. Finger foods like bread sticks keep our kids happy for a while. You can also pack an avocado or banana if your child likes that and it's ok to have it as long as it's consumed on the plane before you land. We don't normally heat up the jar food, just serve it straight but i am sure if you asked for hot water, they would give it to you to warm up it up.

carang is offline Registered User
    i, too, took jarred food, not heating it up. if it wasn't finished, we threw it out and openned a new jar for the next feeding.

i took a small box of animal crackers, bread sticks, cut grapes (again, make sure you finish or discard BEFORE you get off the plane! VERY IMPORTANT!)

fennho is offline Registered User
    can a 1 year old take the kids meal that's serve on board? Cos my gal doesnt take jar food at all, in fact, she hates it. I'm buying an additional seat for her (altho she doesnt need one cos she's just 14mths old) so thinking of requesting for a child's meal instead.

carang is offline Registered User
    you can go for it. once a child gets to a year, they can pretty much eat anything and everything. you might just have to cut the food into really small pieces.

i have found that neither of my kids particularly like the meals. they usually eat the bread/roll and maybe the dessert. not much else. i might get htem to have a few bites of rice or potatoes/noodles and that's it. i don't force it. the LAST thing i want to do on a plane is argue about food.

LeahH is offline Registered User
    I second the avocado and banana, easy to take onboard and mash up or eat in pieces. Mine eats the yoghurt, fruit salad and bread rolls from the plane. 'Rachels' squeezy packeted fruit and vege puree is good too as I finish it if they don't (B2B and 360).

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    Our plane staples include Cheerios, animal crackers, grapes, and blueberries. Sometimes, cheese wedges, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast