Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need some advice!! Mid-level or Kowloon?

83ko is offline Registered User

Need some advice!! Mid-level or Kowloon?

I just moved to HK and have been looking for a place to live. I have a 1 yr old baby and my husband works around Central area.

I looked around some apartments in Mid-level and Kowloon. All the apartments in Mid-level got pretty good quality and I liked the aspect of being close to the center of HK and probably there would be many playgroups, etc. for babies/kids, which gives me a lot of opportunities to make new friends. But I feel that going out with a babystroller would be a bit challenging and I didn't see any good supermarkets around there. Planning to hire a helper but still I would like to do some grocery/shopping from time to time.

On the otherside, in Kowloon there is a quality apartment w/shopping mall. Though, maybe it's a bit far from expat community...and maybe more polluted?! Also, it seems like all the good hospitals are in HK side, which means that if it's an emergency, maybe cannot wait till getting there...

Would anyone pls advise me on pros/cons of living in Mid-level or Kowloon for a family with a baby? Which area would you recommend?

Thanks a lot!!
    Last edited by shri; 02-22-2009 at 10:02 AM.

dimsum mum is offline Registered User
    welcome to hong kong!

i would probably go with hong kong side. most people i have known who have lived on kowloon side end up moving to hk side as soon as their lease ends.

many families living on robinson, seymour, conduit roads (and all the other roads that comprise the midlevels residential area) find the parknshop and welcome around the seymour rd/robinson rd junction well able to meet their grocery needs. there are also lots of specialty shops along caine rd and upwards to supplement. i think you would be able to take care of your family's food needs quite well within the midlevels area, and you'll be in central where there are olivers/360/great often enough to supplement your pantry.

if you are looking for a bit more of a stroller friendly atmosphere on hk island that is also close to central, have you considered happy valley?

Good luck with your decision.

carang is offline Registered User
    i would go further than kowloon. i would go to discovery bay or sai kung. they are both VERY stroller friendly & expat friendly.

most places in sai kung would come with a car park included, and db is a 25 minute ferry ride from central.

don't limit yourself. REALLY look around.

personally, i've been here for 14 years and lived pretty much everywhere. i could not imagine living in mid-levels with my kids. i know that there are many, many, many out there that do and love it. it's just NOT for me.

tstmum is offline Registered User
    We are in Kowloon and love it here (we are expats, and have no intention of moving to HK island). Some areas of Kowloon are more expat friendly than others and others more local. Where we are, Elements is just downstairs, with an excellent outdoor playground plus more childrens facilities in the clubhouse. With the MTR also so close it's really quick to get to Central. In fact, my husband gets to work in Central faster than some friends who live in Mid-levels!

Everyone has their own opinion (as you'll see from the various replies you get to your post), so I suggest getting out and seeing apartments in different areas and don't just limit your search to Mid-Levels or Kowloon.

83ko is offline Registered User
    Thank you everyone for the advice!
    Yes, right, I should explore a bit more and see other areas as well.

I have a couple of more questions.
    The MTR in Kowloon - how often does it run? Every 5min or so?
    If the playgroups I might be interested in are all in HK side and if I decide to live in Kowloon, do you think it will become too much trouble?

Again, thanks a lot!
    Last edited by 83ko; 02-22-2009 at 12:35 PM.

carang is offline Registered User
    there are playgroups all over hong kong. you might be surprised.

tstmum is offline Registered User
    MTR from Kowloon to Central is every 2-5 mins during peak times, and 6-8 mins out of peak times.

I go to some playgroups in Central (and it really does not take long to get there) as well as Kowloon, eg, PIPS kindergarten above Kowloon station offers playgroup classes.

Neha is offline Banned
    Welcome to HK.

I think Mid Levels is better option U can go to central and be back home much faster. There are many super markets in Central Olivers, Great, City super, 360 all very convenient.

There are kids activities in Kowloon side also but just find that they are all located much closer in HK Side. Going down with a stroller is not that difficult and u can always come up using the escalator, Buses and taxis are easily available.

I have never lived in Kowloon side so am biased for Mid Levels

Best of luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast