Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to convert driving license

fennho is offline Registered User

How to convert driving license

May i know how do we convert our driving license so we can drive in Hong Kong? Do we need to do anything? Or we can just use our existing license from our country (ours is a recognised intl driving license)

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    From recollection I had to get (ie, pay for) an 'international license' back in my home country (essentially it was a piece of paper). You can use just this if you plan on staying in HK for less than 12 months.

To get a HK one is very easy though. DH didn't even go himself, someone from his office did it! I took my international license, my Australian license, HK ID card and money to the Transport Department Hong Kong Licensing Office.

All documents need to be valid (ie, not expired license in your home country).

Now that I write this, I don't think HK even needed the "international license" as I recall being annoyed that I had been charged for it back in Australian when I didn't need it!

Check out http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/transport/index.htm

AussieMum is offline Registered User
    We have just organised our international driving license. I think you have upto 12 months to use an existing recognised license from another country, but after that you should obtain a HK one. Firstly you need to complete the appropriate form on the above link posted by Vegemite_Kid. Then follow the instructions on the form as to what you need to provide. I needed to take down originals and copies of our HK ID, Overseas Driving Licence, Passport, evidence of residence in HK (a bill of some sort), and the completed form. Depending on the type of license you currently hold, you may need to take additional information. I completed mine and my husbands. It was around $900HK for a 10 year licence and you can pay via EPS or Cheque. I went to the office and the whole process took about 10 minutes (which has handy as I had my young daughter with me). You have to go back around a week later to collect the actual document, and it is used in conjunction with your HK ID. All in all I found it a very easy process, even when I had to process my husbands for him.

fennho is offline Registered User
    thanks everyone. I have managed to change mine at the HK Transport Licensing Dept at United Centre yesterday. Forgot to bring my passport but they processed it for me anyway, reminding me to bring it when i collect my license a week later. Personally tot that's a very flexi gesture, if it'd been in Singapore, i would have to make another trip down.

WICKED is offline Registered User

visa requirements for hk driving licence

Hi. I would like to know if you need to present a valid visa for a certain period of time to get a Hong Kong licence. In the UK, you have to have a valid visa for more than 6 months in order to apply for a licence. I would like to know if you encountered any similar problems in Hong Kong, or if you encountered any kind of problem while applying for your HK licence. If you would be kind enough to write back to me. Thanks.

shri is offline Administrator
    You need a valid HKID card for a license. That implies that you're either a dependant, working or studying here or a permanent resident.

HK2008 is offline Registered User
    Does anyone know whether there are any special road rules that are different from Australia? I know we all drive on the left side of the road(thankfully), but are there anything else I need to be aware of? Do we need to take any particular road test here?

carang is offline Registered User
    if your "home" licence is in english, you don't actually need an "international" d.l. you can just take your home licence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast