Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Breastfeeding issues at 4 months

Suv
    Suv is offline Registered User

Breastfeeding issues at 4 months

Hi
    My issues are not very drastic but they are just annoying. I am hoping someone can shed some light on them. LLL Sarah?

1. I have lopsided milk production. I have been trying suggestions from kellymom. I think the production has increased significantly(baby's mouth is full of milk and is gulping) in the right breast (the one with low production, bad latch and a nipple crack) but the baby has become extremely fussy and keeps pulling off at the breast for the past 3 days (earlier, he would just suck at it patiently). So now I have started getting lumps in this breast again. I have tried expressing and hardly anything comes out, Like 0.5 oz or sometimes nothing. My other left breast used to have oversupply but now it has subsided and the baby has also become efficient. And now I am having trouble expressing from this one too.

About the bad latch.... when I get him to latch on well, he pulls and pulls till the latch becomes bad. So I have resorted to the uncomfortable football hold, where he latches on pretty well but is still fussy and my back is shot!

2. Baby has a good feed at 3:30am but hardly has any feed at 7am. Sucks for 5 min. and then gets interested in other things like smiling at me and looking around. Yesterday at his next feed at 11am, he only had 3oz. The only good feeds (over 20min) he has are his dream feed and 3:30am feed. These are the times when he goes right back to sleep, no problem there. He is put down at 7pm and I wake him up at 7am and he normally sleeps pretty well.

Thanks.

Suv

putput is offline Registered User
    Try massaging the lumps with a cold coke can and then expressing. It worked wonders for me even though it hurts to do.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    My baby is 4 months old too. She NEVER feeds for 20 minutes! Usually only 10-15 min every 3 hrs or so. But apparently, babies eat at different paces - so LLL usually tell you to count the wet and dirty diapers and also to make sure that the baby is putting on weight. And if those two things are ok, then it doesn't really matter how often and how long your baby eats for, because they are getting everything that they need!

I had a blocked duct for the first time today and I read that heat pads help to "dissolve" the lumps or something - so I improvised and put one on the lump for half an hour, then tried pumping, and I was amazed at how quickly it got rid of the lump!! (too much information, I know! Sorry!!)

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Dear Suv,

It would be much easier for us to talk on the telephone, my number is 2548-7636.

It is actually quite difficult to understand what is happening with your baby and I need to ask loads of questions to do so. Doing this on the forum will sound like 20 questions!

But can you explain to me why you think the latch is bad? Are you still in pain when the baby feeds? Do you still have sore nipples or have they healed now?

For breastfeeding to work both the mother and the baby need to be comfortable. If the mother is uncomfortable, say with sore nipples, then it is she who initiates a change of position. If the baby is uncomfortable then he initiates a change of position and usually he does this by pulling off.

As you baby is now four months old he should know how to breastfeed. Try lying on your back, reclining on pillows with the baby lying on top of you and let the baby do all the work of latching. This is actually the most natural way to breastfeed and usually the baby will get into a position where both you and he are comfortable.

It is really common for one breast to have more milk than the other. For most mothers this is the right breast but for about 10% of mothers it is the left breast. Unless you are very upset about looking lopsided it doesn't really matter.

Don't worry about how much milk you can pump - it is always less than the amount the baby will drink when he directly breastfeeding. Kellymom.com will have suggestions on how to increase the amount you can pump if you need to be separated from the baby.

As Nicolejoy mentioned it is really common for babies to reduce their feeding time down to 5 to 10 minutes by four months. And also very normal for babies to get very distracted around this time. It is a time when breastfeeding in public can be very trying because the baby wants to watch everyone else more than he wants to feed - even if your breasts are saying that the baby needs to feed now! I found churches a good place to feed when out and about - dark and quiet and nothing for the baby to get interested in.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

Alicat is offline Registered User
    Hi Suv,
    My baby is 4 months too. I'm going to leave the first part of your question to the lactation experts but I am very interested in the second part of your question because my guy is doing the same thing!

I think this is because he has gotten into a bad pattern where his big feeding gap is between 4am and 10:30/11am and not between 11pm and 6/7am when it should be. My problem is that I have identified this problem but am at a loss for what to do about it. I have tried feeding him less at 4am but then he just cries and cries because he is so hungry so I HAVE TO feed him. This puts him off his 7am feed and so the vicious circle never ends. Anybody have any suggestions for how to break this cycle?

Thanks!

Suv
    Thanks, Nicolejoy and everyone! Yes, the baby has become quite efficient but there are feeds (generally night ones) where I feel he is sucking full on and both breasts together are about 15-20min. Agreed he is sleepy but I can feel the milk being drawn out. Perhaps at night there are no distractions. LLL Sarah, Yvonne Heavyside is coming to weigh the baby and she will see the baby feed as well. My nipple has healed but it gets white on one side and having read kellymom, it is called blanching- an indication of poor latch? Thats why I have been trying the football hold and he latches on great, but still keeps pulling off and my back has started to hurt in the process. I will give you a call later today.

On my mother and grandmother's suggestion- this is normal practice back home.... 2 days in a row I have given him cooled boiled water for the middle of the night feed, Alicat. He was not happy and till 5am (my deadline and about 7hrs from last 20 min good feed at 10:30pm) was either crying or drifting in and out of sleep. He had a pretty good feed at 5am and at 7am, there is a change between the 2 days. It is a tough thing to do to see them cry and for someone who has been against CIO till now, I feel like a closet CIO fan. I decided the 7hr gap is because normally he feeds at 6pm and wakes up again around 1:30am. I will keep you posted on what YH says too.

Alicat is offline Registered User
    Hi Suv,
    I've tried the bolied water thing too but he screams blue murder! The last couple of nights, my husband has been rocking him to sleep so he doesn't smell me. He's now eating better at 6 / 7am but still waking up at 4am. Will give it a couple more days to see if he fills up in the day or decides that it's not worth waking up at 4. Will keep you posted too.

Suv
    Hi Alicat,
    YH said offering water is no problem as they should be able to sleep through once over 5kgs. However, babies who are on a lower percentile which my son is(>25%), they might need a middle of the night feed till they are about 6 months. Its too bad that your son is not taking to water. It took mine a couple of days but now he is fine with it. My son is still waking up a lot- it has left me wondering if it is due to a growth spurt. The moment I feel I might have figured it out, it changes. Sigh.....
    6pm last evening Great feed
    9:15pm up screaming and wouldn't be calmed down till I fed him, he had a great feed
    12:15am. I offered him water, so he settled a bit; but within the next 15-20 min he had woken up twice so I figured he was hungry and he again had a pretty good feed.
    3:45am Offered water. Settled after 20 min of rocking.
    5:15am rocked to sleep, no water offered.
    7:00am Fantastic feed!
    He is feeding much better during the day, so having read whatever there is out to read, that he is still getting up due to habit.

LLLSarah, in front of YH he showed her a perfect latch on the boob that I had been complaining about- Of course!! Since his feeds during the day became better, his latch has magically improved!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast