Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mama-to-be

Princess Margaret Hospital - PMH

mama-to-be is offline Registered User

Princess Margaret Hospital - PMH

Hi
    Just wondered whether any mothers have recently given birth there as i understand previously their reputation wasn't great but they've recently gone thru a massive renovation. Has this at all improved? I gave birth in Prince of Wales with my first but with the new catchment area system and I live in Tung Chung I may have to give birth in PMH unless I really kick up a fuss at PoW. By the way PoW was excellent!
    Any feed back would be awesome.

Hi - has anyone recently given birth at PMH or know someone who has? Thanks!!!!
    littlehope likes this.

1510 is offline Registered User
    I'm expecting my second baby and live in tung chung right now. Just wondering if mothers are automatically assigned to Princess Margaret Hospital if they are living in tung chung. Will you be given a choice to deliver at Prince of Wales or Queen Mary? I had my first baby back home so not familiar with HK public system. Thank you so much....

Yes the hospital authorities have become quite strict in their zoning policies. So we who live in Tung Chung are automatically assigned to PMH with no choice really. I've heard of people working around it - like changing their address at their banks to reflect another address closer to the hospital of choice. But for me, I just don't want to go thru that hassle and as its my 2nd I'm thinking I may not even make it to a further hospital. Also we recently went to PMH and it looks quite nice - they recently renovated. So am inclined to go there. Just wanted to hear if anyones had experience there recently.

How far along are you 1510? I am 20 weeks now....

mscheerful is offline Registered User
    i had my baby 2 years ago at PMH. My experienced with them was GOOD! I have really nothing much to complain although soemtimes the nurses and doctors were really over busy with so many ladies giving birth but each time when i needed help they will come to me and some when after they wheel new moms to their beds they will stop to ask us "how are you?". Yes, the visiting hours and the food are not what i have wanted for but i dont really care about the food since hubby brought in during the visiting hours. If it is not visiting hour he will drop the food or things that i need to the nurses there and they will pass it to me. I stayed there for 6 days because of C and baby was yellow, needed phototherapy. I paid $600 so really no way to complain! Hope you have a good experience too.

That's great to hear mscheerful! May I ask when you had your 2 babies there? I gave birth in Prince of Wales the first time around and experience was great, but as with the PMH the food was pretty gross! Also yes the nurses are somewhat busy but I think you'll get this problem with all public hospitals. I paid something like $300 and left after 2 nights so I can't complain about it either!

1510 is offline Registered User
    Thanks mscheerful, it's a relief to hear a positive note.
    I'm about 8 weeks along. Thinking of combining private checks with public delivery but havent found a gynae now. Mama-to-be, are you going thru public system for the prenatal checks? if private, who is your gynae?
    Thanks a lot :)

I use a private ob/gyn. He is Dr Patrick Chan and I think he's really good. I used Dr Robert Dawkins for my 1st but he's since retired so I switched to Dr Chan for #2. Dr Chan's charges are a lot less. He's on the directory and comes highly recommended