Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Helper/nanny leaving - how to prepare baby?

jaetee is offline Registered User

Helper/nanny leaving - how to prepare baby?

My helper will be leaving in a few weeks. She has been with us almost 2 years, and has decided to got to Canada.

She is very hands-on in taking care of my 25 month old, and they are very close.

1) Any suggestions for how to prepare baby for her nanny's departure? Should I ignore it, say nanny is on holiday, etc.?

I am almost afraid to mention it for fear baby will cry (when we were in the US last year for 2 months, all was okay without nanny but if you mentioned nanny's name, baby would get teary).

Thanks for any advice. :)

carang is offline Registered User
    i would talk about it, after all she has been a major influence in his life. but, i wouldn't make a big deal of it.

you may find that he doesn't even notice that she's gone or that he cries his eyes out for a week, then is ok.

ask your helper if you may have her new address so that you can send postcards and letters to her.

rani is offline Administrator
    We changed helpers as well when my son was around 2. He did ask for her, but after a week or so he completely forgot. We had a break of about 6-weeks before our new helper started. So we spent lots of time together at playdates etc. It took him around 2-weeks to adjust to the new helper and 5 years later they're inseparable.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    He'll be fine. As others have said he may ask for her for a few days but it's amazing how quickly children forget people! I would still prepare him a little by talking about your helper leaving but i wouldn't go overboard.

Neha is offline Banned
    Same thing happened to us last december Our son was 25 months. he missed her alot but we decided to go on a trip for 2 weeks when we came back we had the new helper and also we moved apartments so we told him that the older helper has gone back to her daughter as she needs her mom, 1st he was upset as he said she should come back to him, but soon he got used to the new helper and would ask for the old one once in a while. But he got over her.

Thanks for the advice/anecdotes. Were your helpers hands on? My helper is pretty hands on (takes LO to activities, feeds her, and sometimes even naps with her) - I am worried she will feel like she is losing a mommy. :(

We will be moving apartments at the time my helper is due to leave, so that may help a bit.

It just makes me sad that my LO is going to go through this (plus we wont have a helper going forward, and that is scaring me as well).

Neha is offline Banned
    Our helper was hands on but not so much, he used to play with him take him to the park but all his activities were done with me.

Moving into a new place will be helpful as now our son says that the new house has the aunty and the old place when we pass by has the other helper

That is my worry - that because my helper was hands on, that my baby will be really upset. :(

Unfortunately because of my own health reasons, I have needed the helper to be pretty hands-on, and now I am worried about the aftermath. Sigh....