Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Where would you live for under $18,000?

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Haha, now you are bombarded with choices. :)

You really will just have to take time out to do a look-see to get a feel for yourselves how well you'll like the place/s.

Good luck.

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    DB, Hong Kong
    If your DH is anything like mine he will not like to commute very far. (until recently he thought 30 minutes was too far!). The North Point/Quarry Bay area is nice with some good international schools nearby (such as Delia School of Canada in Taikoo).

We lived in the area BC (before kids) and liked it a lot. It has CityPlaza nice and close with just about everything you need in a mall, but the area is still close to central. I worked in Central at the time and could travel from our apartment to my office (about 45 minutes) without having to step outside! I had a short outside walk from central to the office (about 5 minutes)! The best dumpling shop (I think!) was also near us in North Point. DH worked in TKO and it was about a 40 min trip for him too.

We rented a serviced apartment for 2 months on our return to HK (after kids) as I thought we would move back into the area but the commute to Kowloon for DH was just too long (about 1.5 hours) so we moved to Discovery Bay.

You need to decide how long DH is willing to travel and then you will be better placed to pick an area to look into. Lots of areas are good for famililes - Sai Kung, Discovery Bay, Stanley, Tung Chun and so on.

I think the public transport system is excellent in Hong Kong so I would not consider that a factor.

re prices, I think you will be able to find a nice place in the North Point/QB area for your budget because it is a little less popular an area to live than somewhere like Discovery Bay (which I think you can find a place for that budget too it would not have nearly as many features as a place like carang's in Sai Kung).

Good luck on the move!

jac8 is offline Registered User
    Melbourne Australia
    Thanks so much for the fantastic responses! You have all given me some great new places to look at. Currently I am searching a webite called 'gohome' for rentals are there any others you guys would recommend?

Carang that does sound very tempting but as Vegemite kid said my hubby is not too keen on commuting too far so 45 minutes would be his absolute maximum door to door time! Island Resort sounds great Buckeroo will look into that one for sure! A pool and a place to ride bikes will be pretty important for my very active kids. Victoria Park is gorgeous but I didnt think we would be able to afford anything around there so maybe some apartments in that area might be good too.

I think you are all right in saying that we need to actually get there and have a look around. While we have been to HK quite a few times it has always been as a stop over or holiday so you dont really get a feel for the residential areas. We will be put up in a serviced apartment for 2 weeks once we arrive however I am considering coming over on without the kids for a couple of days a month or so before we will be arriving.

Thanks again for your very helpful responses

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    take EVERYTHING listed on the internet with a pound of salt. don't believe anything you read regarding the properties.

good luck!

45 minute commute, for us is TOTALLY worth it!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    North Point
    jac8 - surprisingly, the Sai Kung area and TKO etc is not that far from North Point. I know that from North Point to Hang Hau, it's only around 20 min from door to door. It's closer than Central! And I don't know exactly where carang lives - but there are a lot of village houses that are only maybe a 5-10 min bus right from Hang Hau MTR - so it might be worth looking in to!

I think that if space is more important to you, those village houses may be the best option. If facilities are more important, maybe somewhere like Residence Oasis is better. But those areas actually ARE very close to North Point!!

elaine is offline Registered User
    tseung kwan o
    Other than Residence Oasis at Hang Hau, it is also worthwhile to check out other complexes along the Tseung Kwan O MTR Line such as Park Central @ Tseung Kwan O, Ocean Shores and MetroTown/Le Point at Tiu Keng Leng and Metrocity at Po Lam.

dimsum mum is offline Registered User
    Pokfulam Hong Kong
    good news!!! internet prices tend to be about 10-20 per cent higher than what you can expect to pay. landlords are in negotiating mode these days. just as agents are going to show you places above your price range, you are well within your rights to request a substantial rental decrease.

the other day, a flat in baguio, which was listed at 60k, went for 45k. that's the market.

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    cara, you've got me looking online for village houses in sai kung!!!! our lease is up in july....we are really considering moving. can i ask, how much you spend on gas and parking every month? if we moved to sai kung, we would have to buy a car. just wondering how much we would have to spend every month if we had a car. Hubby would drive to work everyday.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast