Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Where would you live for under $18,000?

carang is offline Registered User
    gas depends on what you drive...
    our 7 passenger guzzles it.... easily costs $300 for a round-trip to central (but with 5+ people, worth it). we haven't used it for a long time (around 4 months) as it was getting too expensive. but we have friends arriving next week, so we'll break it out again.

our smaller car i put in about $500/week. i go to tsing yi via ma on shan and shatin everyday. so, it's MUCH more economical!

we have 2 car parks included in our rent. where i work, i spend $1200/month.

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    thanks for the info cara, not sure if its right for us but heps us make a more informed decision!

carang is offline Registered User
    it is NOT convenient in the least. we would just rather spend the money on space. for us, it works. it is a very different way of living. there is no "popping down to the shops" as it takes us 15 mintues to drive there....

I thought it would work for us since we only grocery shop once a week and dont really shop that much in general...but if we moved, i would be in central 4 days out of the week for dr. appts, therapy, and informal playgroups. I love the idea of living away from the city but not the commute and expenses that go along with it. Hubby works in Taikoo...Hmmm, will have to think about this more. Thanks for the info!!

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    cara - if you don't mind my asking, whereabouts exactly are you in cwb? what would you say the pros and cons of cwb vs saikung?

I did a workshop there last week and the place I went to was beautiful, right by the water, somewhere in Sheung Sze Wan. I was telling hubby about it and while everything else seems ideal for us (e.g. the space, the 'village' feel), it took me forever to get there and without a car, you pretty much would have to rely on taxis. It would have been a good trek just to get up to the main road.... (that was a deal breaker for hubby as far as places to live go). Plus I didn't really know how much it would cost to rent there. BUT, really a beautiful area... modest houses, with small fenced in areas and the neighborhood kids there were very helpful and everybody seemed to know everybody else. :)

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    MM, move out to Island Resort. That's precisely why we chose to be here -still be on HK island, but away from the hustle and bustle, yet only minutes away from key areas (Central, Causeway Bay, etc.)

I'm dreaming of a place in cwb mainly for the space.... I'd love to have a proper 'house.'
    Last edited by Buckeroo; 02-26-2009 at 01:24 PM.

Thanks Buckeroo! I will check it out. I too am dreaming of an island-y life in a village house...sigh...lol

wanfamily is offline Registered User
    We live in Nan Fung Plaza which is opposite Residence Oasis in Hang hau. The club house is not as plush, but there is one as well as, 2 playgrounds, swimming pool etc. (We have met a few friends in Residence Oasis and just go across the road to use their fancy clubhouse anyway!). You get more sq feet for your money than Residence oasis. We have a 1080 sq ft. 3 bedroom plus maids room for 17K. It seems a lot bigger too as the furniture is all built in with storage underneath and we even have 'loft space' as the owner put in a false ceiling on the corridor.
    We're probably going to have to move this summer because of work, so let me know if you want me to put a good word in with the landlord! :)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast