Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

A sound family budget?

HK2008 is offline Registered User

On second thought...I probably should invite you all to my home and serve you with home-made coffee...That would be a saving of 200 bucks...LOL

MLBW Guest

HK2008. No, not missing a '0'--of course if you're shopping in department stores you're going to pay that extra '0' because those stores have overhead. In the local shops and markets the cost is WAY lower. Even Stanley market (although often higher-priced than the very local shops) is usually much lower than any department store. For me, I think that even Wing On is incredibly overpriced for the things that they sell. I suggest getting to know a local mom or someone who has been here long enough to know where local people shop and then you will definitely, definitely find children's clothes for much less than $100 HKD. Where I buy my son's, a nice set of toddler clothes (matching Carter's set--trousers, shirt and sometimes jacket) is usually from $50-60 HKD. I'm still fine with dressing my son in t-shirts and sweat pants and khakis. I just bought shoes for him at CityStore and for 2 pairs it was around $200 HKD--or maybe a bit less--and they fit well and are well-made.

MilkMonster is offline Registered User

I'm so happy to hear you've made changes, and so fast!! For us, we started to freak out about saving money as soon as i found out i was pregnant. both of us were self-employed at the time and just spending and having a grand time in hk. We have since changed our lifestyle and definitely care more about the future.

Wow! #3?! Congratulations!! You are brave!! I too want to have more children but both my kids were born premature and I don't think i am strong enough to go through all that again...we may consider adopting a girl in 3-5years...I've got 2 boys.

A realistic budget, unless you are in a circumstance that forces you to be on a tight budget, is one that you can stick with for a long time. that's better than setting up one that sounds and looks good on paper but is completely not do-able in day to day life or is a real struggle because you have a higher chance of 'relapse' into your old habits. You spent years creating these habits, it will take some time to make real changes to how you think. Haha I tell all my no-parent friends to buy all the brand name bags and watches, etc. before they get pregnant so they can do so without the guilt! We made changes to our budget slowly. cutting out "wants" gradually. In terms of saving up money to buy a place, we ended up buying a place in Toronto instead of HK, and renting it out. we figured it makes more sense for us to rent here and buy back home even though we don't have plans to move back to Canada anytime soon since with the money you would invest in a place here, you could do the same for 2 properties back home. This also helps us feel like we are moving forward with our goals and keeps us aware. Sometimes its easy to get caught up with everything and start spending on stuff you don't need.

so while we are on the topic of stuff you don't need, for cheap clothes for babies and some toddlers you can check out Togs Unlimited - have found some pretty nice stuff there. mostly baby stuff though.

8A Kimley Commercial Building
    142-146 Queen’s Road Central
    Hong Kong
    Tel: +(852) 2333-7525

522, Block C, DB Plaza
    Discovery Bay
    Tel: +(852) 2987-0523

MilkMonster is offline Registered User

oh another tip! I only buy kids shoes on sale. when i do, i buy 2 pairs, the size that fits and the size up. that way i am never stuck in a situation where i have to buy shoes that are full price.

carang is offline Registered User

i, too, buy shoes that are too big when they are on sale. i usually buy the kids some shoes when we are overseas. they seem a little more reasonable in price.

aussiegal is offline Registered User

My favourite shop for kids in HK is King Kow. Can always find heaps of fabulous items and they regularly have huge sales, 50% off or more so I generally wait when i like something and avoid paying full price. My kids are always dressed well but it doesn't have to cost a bomb. I could never go back to paying Sydney prices for kids clothes. They are horrendous.

mscheerful is offline Registered User

I go to those import-export shops to get kids clothes and sometimes, hubby's too. Jordan has a few shops. I got some nice t-shirt plus shorts or t-shirts plus long pants for my son, it cost around 39-49$ each pair! Winter sweaters or long sleeves from branded like Children Place, pumkinpatch, old navy, next... cost only 39-49, always buy one size bigger too. Shoes, i got it from Tung Chung DR. Kong $100 per pair. I live in Tung Chung so when the kids outlets onsale, i got a few pairs for big occasions (we got invited to few parties or functions a year). Yesterday was in 7seven, saw some nice white tops for $100, so i chose one and pay but the shop lady said, 3 for $100..... wow, what a deal!! Grocery can't really save much but marketing I do it in the local market so save a lot compare to buy from park and shop or taste or welcome. Never save on shoes - hubby wants Geox or Aerosoles and for me, at least Walkers. Walk a lot so have to have a nice pair or it will kill my legs with a toddler!

HK2008 is offline Registered User

Hi ladies. I think I was being a little bit naughty today...It was too much to resist as my taste buds kept calling for my usual favorites, so I had 'relapsed' a little and bought around $250 worth of fruits alone... Please don't be disappointed at me...I think MilkMonster is right - I can't make my budget too tight. :Butbut I didn't visit any clothes stores for two days in a row! I have to say you ladies are amazing and incredible. It takes so much willpower to say 'no' to all the goodies out there. I know I should always keep my guard up and avoid excessive spending, but can someone please give me a little bit of 'green light' on the food part? especially if I'll be good and limit the dining out to once a week?
    Sooorry to say that I still need a lot of monitoring, but I'll keep learning from you as I can see, even from a long distance, that my dream home is waving at me...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast