Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

A sound family budget?

carang is offline Registered User
    why don't you get a little piggy bank for yourself?

every day, when you go out, if you want to go into the shops, do! BUT don't buy ANYTHING! instead look at the price you WOULD have spent. when you get home, put that $ into the piggy bank instead! then you will see daily your $ increasing!

I'll bet after 2 months, you'll have enough for a short holiday for you and hubby!

as for food.... THAT is my downfall, too! $45 for a little box of raspberries... umm... ok, once every 2-3 months. i think the trick there is, not buying everything you like everytime you want it. $250 for fruit is ok, so long as you don't throw $150 of it in the bin next week!

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    We choose to spend money on food, so you can work that into your budget if you know it's your weakness. start cutting out the things you are OK to live without first.

the biggest problem when shopping for food arises is if you are hungry when you are doing it.

if you REALLY want to cut down and find shopping to be too tempting, try ordering on-line. you are less likely to get stuff that you don't need.

we order frozen meat on-lineor i buy a lot of our meat at reduced prices. i must admit, i LOVE my thick-cut steaks and pork chops for bbq!

HK2008 is offline Registered User
    Hi Carang, you are already making my mouth go watering with your 'thick cut steaks' and 'pork chops'... So everybody agrees that I can loosen up a bit on the food bills...Thanks for the great tip for a piggy bank. Unfortunately the whole spending process does not involve cash for me(only credit cards). But I get the idea. And regarding throwing out the fruits---the answer is no, because there were only a few items, and had already consumed 2/3 of them at afternoon tea time...Carang, come on, look after yourself please! Once every two to three months for your favorite raspberries---I'm make sure to bring you a box when we meet up after you come back from Canada...I think I can make aussie bacon a once-in-a-month thing, but fruits? they are good for us in every way...

MilkMonster, you are absolutely right. I will cut out things that I don't need for sure. I swear, solemnly

exactly!

the raspberries i save for when i'm having a really good month financially or for when i'm really homesick!

if you are spending money on fruit, that's healthy and i wouldn't worry about it so much. far better than spending money on potato chips or chocolate (my weaknesses!)

don't get me wrong, there are days i go through the supermarket and i'm afraid of seeing anyone i know for what i rubbish i have in my basket!

You really made me laugh out loud! Then again, who won't treat themselves at least some chocolates once in a while...that's my hubby's weakness and I was ordered to keep them always in stock at home...lol

And also, we cannot afford to get homesick too often, eh? Because all the 'daily necessities' we used to get back home are 'imported goods' here, so we have to pay a much higher premium to have a taste of our home...So let's make HK our new home!

so, a lady goes to a pizza parlour in NYC and orders a pizza. after finishing the entire thing off, she goes up to the chef and says, "Man! I was just in Italy and your pizza is SOOOOOOO much better!"

the chef answers, "of course it is! We use only imported cheese. They use local!"

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast