Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

such an embarrassing happening

neohk is offline Registered User

Unhappy such an embarrassing happening

hi all,

i've been waiting my new helper from Phillippine for over 2 months, but yesterday after sending the hk visa, she immediately changed her mind. she said her mother is sick. i don't understand that. in case it is true that her mother is sick, why doesn't she tell the agent earlier?

the agent apologies it and send me others' resumes again. i need to wait another 6-8 weeks for processing.
    actually, before her, another fillifina gave up the job during the processing.

i'm a mother of 4 and 1 of them is a 4-month-old baby. i don't have any helper at the moment. before signing the contract, she said she surely accepted my condition. even i know 4 children are too many to take care, i hardly understand her.

what shall i do? do i have to wait again without any complaint?
    is it oftern happening in hk ?
    is it the problem of agency or a person problem?

is there anybody who recommend any solution or tell me how to going-through this situation?

neomum
    Last edited by neohk; 02-26-2009 at 10:35 AM.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Oh gee, that really, really sucks. I think the agency is partly to blame if it's the second time it's happened. Cleary they are not screening the helpers well enough.

There are lots of helpers in HK without jobs now. Their employers have been sent home having lost jobs etc. I strongly suggest you start asking around, reading ads in supermarkets etc for helpers in these situations. That way you will get to meet them, talk face to face and it will also not take 6-8 weeks to process them. I think normally they can start within a few weeks if they have lost their previous job.

I'm not a fan of agencies and it doesn't sound like the one you are using is doing anything for you. In the end when we were looking for a helper we found a helper we liked and asked her if she had any friends just like her! Seriously, it worked. You know how the saying goes, judging a person by the friends they keep! She was our third helper but only first good one and we're really glad we took a different approach to finding her.

Having 4 children would normally make it harder for you to find a helper. Many helpers have their own criteria, they want a western family and they only want to look after one or two children. Hopefully with so many out of work they won't be so difficult!

Where do you live?

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    I was going to suggest the same as Aussiegal. Have PMed you some more info.

HK2008 is offline Registered User
    I'm very sorry to hear that, neohk. I've also been waiting for my helper coming from Philippine for about 7 weeks now. It's so scary to think that something could go wrong and all the wait and money spent could all be in vain(I'm using an agency for direct hire. Our helper had to break her exsiting contract and people say it's too hard for me to do the application myself). Fingers crossed!
    I think aussiegal had given some great advice here. I'm too new to be helpful just wanting to say that I do feel for you!

By the way, do you know whether the helper's visa is still valid and they can find another job in HK even you helped them obtained the visa in the first place? Just trying to understand if some helpers are using some employers to achieve that.

Good luck with the next one. I'm sure there are plenty looking for a job given the current economic environment...

neohk is offline Registered User
    Thank you all.
    I also agree aussiegal's suggestion but scare to look for helpers who finish the contracts. They are chooing......

aussiegal, I live in Yau Yat Chuen, Kowloon Tong.

I'm going out to the agent office now. I need to do anything.

Thank you again.
    Last edited by neohk; 02-27-2009 at 10:38 AM.

dimsum mum is offline Registered User
    hi neo
    i agree with the others who say that this agency is not screening applicants properly.

i have four children so to a certain extent i can understand your concerns.

good luck.