Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Book suggestions?

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Book suggestions?

Hi all! I've been reading the Gina Ford book in preparation for the arrival of my first baby....was wondering if there are any other books that people would recommend for me to read to prepare for the first few months after birth? I've heard some people suggest the Baby Whisperer. Any others? Thanks!

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    DB, Hong Kong
    As a first time parent I think there are three books should have on your bookshelf (four once they start eating?).

The first you should read before the birth - Dr Ferber's book "Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems" which teaches you the importance of sleep, how it works and tools for helping babies, children and adults sleep better. This includes non-crying approaches to sleep training.

The second is Robin Barker's Baby Love (sorry, I don't know what the US or UK equivalent is) which I flicked through before the birth but would read it at all hours once DD was born. It has lots of general information which is relevant for the first 12 months (skin, feeding, how much sleep and so on). I am not a fan of Gina Ford's methods and thinking. She advocates crying and I believe that a baby cries because it is trying to communicate with you; leaving a small baby to cry even for a few minutes is just not what I felt I wanted to do.

The last is an A-Z book on children illnesses, symptoms and treatments. I have one from Miriam Stoppard which was very helpful at 3am when I didn't want to load up the PC and spend 20 minutes trolling the net for an answer!

Finally, the fourth book, a baby cookbook such as those from Annabel Karmel -- but you have a while before getting into that one!

All the best with the birth of your baby.

crystal88 is offline Registered User
    Aside from parenting books, i recommend "Super baby food" by preparation for eating solids. You have to read now as you won't have the luxury of time later.

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    We found this very helpful -

The American Academy of Pediatrics' Your Baby's First Year

Much more helpful than What to Expect...
    Last edited by rani; 02-28-2009 at 09:47 PM. Reason: link updated

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Tsuen Wan
    Bought in HK:

The Post-Pregnancy Handbook by Syliva Brown
    - very detailed book about all aspects of post-partum life in the first year

Your Newborn Head to Toe by Cara Familian Natterson - a paperback reference of all your baby`s parts explained, particularly if something is `out of the ordinary`

The New Mom`s Manual - Mary Jeanne Menna- more of a light read, but a book of hundred`s of mom`s tips for the first year.

Bought elsewhere or ordered:

Baby Sense by Megan Faure and Ann Richardson - this is about a baby`s sensory world - I found it really interesting and I learned a lot before my baby was born and found that I could explain or understand many behaviours. but there is also a lot of advice like `your baby should be sleeping XX hrs and should be etc`, `do this to your baby`, assuming that babies are all the same. But aside from that it`s good.

Babywise by Can`t Remember - this is a parenting philosophy book. Looked great when I read it but it`s a bit strict to use for my own baby so far. Similar ideas to the baby whisperer however.
    Last edited by rani; 02-28-2009 at 09:59 PM.

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    Yep as Vegemite Kid mentions, Robyn Barkers Baby Love is the bible to everything you want to know about babies. Even my husband reads it.

I had Gina Fords book and read it while pregnant and thought it was great as I like to be organised and thrive on routine. But when my son was born I found it too strict and prefer The Baby Whisperer by Tracey Hogg instead.

Happiest Baby on the Block has some good tips on how to calm a baby and settle them to sleep.
    Last edited by rani; 02-28-2009 at 10:04 PM.

joannek is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I also read Gina Ford when i was pregnant w/ my 1st baby, since I heard so many good things about it & all my friends were following & found it very useful. I made charts & got ready to bring it to use. When my baby was born 4 yrs ago, i tried to follow the routines & it's methods. To my own frustration, it totally failed me, ending me up with engorged breast (there was way too much milk in my breasts for my bb to be feeding 20mins on each side & getting the hind milk). bb was feeding mostly on frontmilk so was very gassy, couldn't sleep & kept crying. also my bb couldn't follow her strict routine. all that time while i tried to follow the routines, my life & my bb's was hell. I finally gave up & tried Tracy Hogg's method, still need bb to cry but much gentler.

Tracy Hogg (baby whisperer) method didn't work either. So this time around (my bb due anytime now), i'm reading No-Cry Sleep Solution (by Elizabeth Pantley), which was recommended by parents who share my parenting philosophy (which lean towards attachment parenting & gentle approaches). cos from last time's experience, I found out that I'm the kind of mom (or my hubby the kind of dad) who can't tolerate listening to my bb cry for even 30 secs.

Luckily, we found our own way (rocking her to sleep & attending to her every cry asap). it worked but we rocked her til she was 2 & was too heavy to be carried. then we pat her to sleep. now that she's 4, we have to stay by her bed-side til she sleeps. but it only takes about 15mins. i'm glad we used our own method, cos she now trusts us & is very confident (i don't know if it's got anything to do w/ being attended to at the least crying). altho it could be physically exhausting sometimes.

this is only my own experience, but from the person who's been there, you really don't know what kind of mom (or dad) you are (crying it out kind or attachment parenting kind or in-between) until you become one.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by rani; 02-28-2009 at 10:05 PM.

Lali07 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Pinky McKay's books, she offers a more gentle approach.. I'm not sure where you can buy them here, but you can order them online at also take a look at

Good luck and all the best :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast