Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Giving medicine

Buckeroo is offline Registered User

Giving medicine

I need some tips on how you administer meds to your kids. My #1 has never been a problem, but #2 is really tough. I'd tried syringe, dropper, mixing the meds with something she likes, etc. To no avail. We'd tried suppositories (where we had the option), but she even pushes those out! I'm at my rope's end... so would like to hear if there are any ideas you can share that we might try. Thanks!

carang is offline Registered User
    how old is she?

my first is ok taking it as is my second. although when #1 was about 18 months, he had anti-biotics for the first time. they are not as yummy as the other kinds.

but he was able to understand when i talked to him. so, i told him if he took the medicine, i'd give him 5 m&m's. that did the trick.

depending on what kind of meds... you could drizzle a little over ice-cream and make a very little "sundae" for her....

other than that....ummm.... force-feed her? or get chewables...

She's 22 months.

Will give the 'sundae' idea a try. Hubby did suggest that... :) The thing with this little one is that we might successfully 'trick' her once, but there's hardly ever a second time.

Yup, we've tried force-feeding with at least two people holding her down and we'd still get most of the meds sprayed in our faces. I'm almost at a point where if it's not life-threatening, I'd save both of us the trouble of giving her the meds! This is a little girl who yanked off her IV drip... We really have a very strong-willed diva here.

Has anyone tried adding sugar to the meds...? (A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down in a most delightful way. Or is it just a song?)

carang is offline Registered User
    i think they used to do that BEFORE they had the know-how of making the meds taste nice. now, there's usually already sugar in the meds, hence the various flavours they have.

joannek is offline Registered User
    i've gone through all that, Buckeroo. I finally started my daughter with homeopath & she doesn't resist them at all. plus, homeopath helps her body fight, so she doesn't need as much medication as she used to now. as i've mentioned other threads, i highly recommend Dr. Sonal from IMI. imi.com.hk

Neha is offline Banned
    Same here we are with Dr. Sonal and she has given some syrup for our son as he is poor eater, we tell our son it is juice though he knows what it is. but normally we go behind him with the small medicine cup and when he is busy just give it to him

Thanks, joannek and Neha. Homeopathy did cross my mind, but I don't know enough, so I haven't really tried it.

Might be a stupid question, but... So, instead of a doctor, you pretty much go to a homeopath any time your child is sick or only for certain types of illnesses?

Neha is offline Banned
    We also have regular Ped. we just started going to Dr. Sonal. But just for regular cold cough/fever u can go he homeopath.

We have not come to anything serious to decide between the 2.