Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

otitis media

mushi is offline Registered User

Unhappy otitis media

has anyone's baby suffered from otitis media (ear infection)....my baby is 10 months old and he has alraedy had a ear infection thrice till now which is very distressing......in fact at present he has another ear infection but this time he is very unwell...he throws up quite a bit, hardly eats and is very cranky at times....i am giving him tylenol for pain and his doc has given him anti-biotics (zinnat) which i have given for pne day (its a 7 day dose).....but he shows no signs of improvement yet and he behaves likes he is in a lot of pain....the vomits makes me really depressed....is that common? pls. give yr advice......i am really worried about him.

Paddles is offline Registered User
    Hi Mushi, my 8 month old has had it twice in her little life so far, the first time more severe than the second. She too was on antibiotics (I forget which one) and it took the whole course for her to get better and even after that I think she was still suffering, but the Dr just told me to give her paracetamol. Took about 10 days for her to fully recovered.

She didn't vomit, but the reason they get ear infections is because they can't clear their ears like an adult can when they get blocked with mucus, which is normally either from a cold or chest infection, if he has a lot of mucus this might be why he's vommiting. Mine never threw up but she was off her food for about a week and very irritable.

I would keep going with the antibiotics for a few more days, if he's vomiting it may take a few days for it to get into his system, and don't worry if he's not eating, as long as he'll take some milk and isn't getting dehydrated he should be ok.

mushi is offline Registered User
    thanks paddles...i just called and spoke to the nurse.....its funny just when u need your doctor so much she is never available.....but i feel better after i read yr post.......mine did not vomit either the last 2 times but recovered within 3 days....so i was more worried about this time....hope its just the ear infection and nothing else.....thanks again.

Scroll to top