Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Canossa hospital - BF issues

firsttimedad is offline Registered User

Canossa hospital - BF issues

Hi,

I'm giving birth in Canossa soon, c-section, around 8pm. I called them to ask what's their rule on Breastfeeding, they say they will give the baby to me asap after delivery, then last feeding in the room ( i won't get a private room) is 11pm. Next time they will bring baby to me is 6am.

My dilemna now is i cannot walk yet on the first night to go to BF room, they say if i have another mom in the room (most likely), they cannot send baby to me, unless we talk to the other mom if it's okay or if she will BF too.

Question - worst comes to worst, what should i let them feed my baby? plain water or glucose water? in a cup? definetely not formula.

When will the colostrum comes? Nurse says baby is still sleepy on the first few hours, wonder if baby can survive how many hours before she/he needs to BF again. Worst is we will give her/him one water feed.........really making me worried on BF. We can't afford a private room.

Thanks if anyone has suggestion as i'm making a birth plan.

babymommy2 is offline Registered User

Worse comes to worse put up a big giant fuss and complain to everyone and take it up with the head nurse and higher if you need to. That is riduculous to make the baby starve all night long because of a policy. they should either be bringing the baby to you, or at the very least, getting you into a wheelcahir if you can't walk and taking you to the baby!. I'd also take several articles with me discussing the dangers of giving water/glucose water/formula with me. I don't know if any of that will work, but it seems like some of the people who have posted on here, have said when they complained a lot , were able to get their own way. I haven't had a baby in hong kong, and glad of it, some of the stories on here are just unbelievable! Is there any common sense

babymommy2 is offline Registered User

Just to add to your questions. colostrum starts coming in around 5 months of pregnancy, so it is definatly there when your baby is born. a Healthy baby is bvery alert right after birth and will start to show feding cues within an hour after birth. In fact if you were to just place the baby on your abdomen immediatly after birth, the baby will wiggle his way up to your breast and self latch! it takes then awhile, but they know what to do all on their own. Then usually the baby will have a good sleep after the feed, but they wont normally not feed all night long!

cha-cha is offline Registered User

i've had 2 babies at canossa.

they usually have a 4am feed for the babies. you can ask the nurses/ aides to wake you up. they will be reluctant because they say you will need the rest, but you can insist. you should bring a small alarm clock/ watch with you because in their busyness, they might forget to do so.

if you can't walk to the room, ask for a wheelchair. when i did the 4am feed, i was the only one there. luckily my baby was awake at that time and fed quite well. but during the first 2 days he slept right through a couple of feeding times and nothing i could do would wake him.

if you don't want to supplement your child with water/ glucose/ formula then persist with it. everytime i handed my baby back to the nursery, without fail the nurses asked me whether they could top him up with a bottle. i always said no, but i felt that a lot of other mums felt pressured and gave in.

if your baby is hungry you will know it. if your baby slept through a feed, then ask the nurses to let you know if the baby wakes up crying for hunger before the next scheduled feed time. don't feel like you are bothering or pestering them.

breastfeeding is not easy, do your own reading/ research beforehand, don't just rely on the advice of the nurses there. it will vary depending on which nurse you ask. HTH

jane01 is offline Registered User

Why would water or glucose water (which is just sugared water) be better for a baby than formula? Sounds odd to me. If it is a choice between baby starving, having water, sugared water and formula, isn't formula the obvious choice? It is an awful lot closer to human milk than sugared water, yuck.

firsttimedad is offline Registered User

Thanks ladies, i will insist then that i will be wheelchaired so i can BF.

How about if i ask for pump so they can give my milk to baby?

Cha-cha, were you c-section and what time did you delivered? were you wheelchaired to the nursery? I know they are BF friendly during the day but not at night time. I really don't mind walking or not sleeping but the first night is crucial as i'll just have the c-section, i don't know if i can stand up right away, maybe not as i will have dextrose.

Hope Sarah of LLL can give more tips on how to handle this situation.

Frenchy is offline Registered User

I gave birth at Canossa and they took my baby to my room every 2 hours during the night. I think you should talk to the other mum in the same room and tell her how important it is for you as it is your first one. I'm sure she will understand, and at the end everything will be fine.
    They always tell you to rest, but every 10 mn someone comes to take your temperature/blood pressure, check if you want to go to the toilet, bring your meal/take your meal... you'll get much more rest once at home ! :D

Anyway, make sure you get some help for the first bfeeding, it's not as easy as it looks, and being guided by a nurse makes the whole difference.

By the way, people at Canossa are very nice, and you'll find all the help you need.

AndreaY is offline Registered User

Unless you are extremely, extremely lucky, the first 3 days there's not enough milk for you to pump and feed your baby. Had both my babies in Canossa, their staff is nice. Just tell them what you want and they will try to accomodate your wishes the best they can. I definitely would not resort to bossiness and start flashing any "I know more than you" info at the drop of a hat. My experience is that you will get much more if you do not rub people the wrong way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast