Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bringing small baby home from hospital - Baby Carrier?

kyojee is offline Registered User

Bringing small baby home from hospital - Baby Carrier?

Hello, I'm 35 weeks into my pregnancy now, and recent u/s have shown that the baby is likely to be on the small side if there is no sudden growth spurt in these last 3-5 weeks.

I've gotten a baby bjorn active carrier earlier, but now realized (read instructions on carrier) that "usage is not suitable for babies below 3.5kg, as they may slip out of the opening" I am looking into other options to bring the baby home, assuming she will be fairly small.

Besides getting a car seat (we don't have a car) and carrying in our arms (personal choice, but I don't feel very safe doing that,) would anyone have other suggestions?

Been doing research on other baby carriers, and would like to hear from parents with first hand experience...

Thank you in advance!

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    I took my baby back from the hospital in a sling. It's much more confortable for a small baby, as his weight is not on his back,his head is supported and his back rounded like he used to be during so many months in your belly... and my baby loved it so much that I used only a sling for the 3 first months !

joannek is offline Registered User
    a sling is probably your best bet. get a brand that can last you til bb is 1 yr old. baby is snug & comfy close to your heart & you can use it around the house with your hands free.

i saw several choices at baby outlet in causeway bay. http://www.mamabebe.com.hk/

southside852 is offline Registered User
    newborns are too small for the bjorn. we took our son back from the hospital in the maxi cosi cabrio infant carrier (car seat) which is suitable from birth until around 12/13 months depending on weight.

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    I had the same problem, I took the Baby Bjorn to the hospital but when our son was born he was too small at 2.4kg to use it. I sent my husband out to buy a Maxi Cosio Cabrio car seat. We also don't have a car, but I found it useful in taxi's and when home If I needed to put him down to do something I could put him in it for a little bit.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    taking home the baby in a car seat from the hospital is the safest way...they are so fragile then....and is a wise investment as it can be used when you travel around in taxis/cars.

tstmum is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by southside852 View Post
    taking home the baby in a car seat from the hospital is the safest way...they are so fragile then....and is a wise investment as it can be used when you travel around in taxis/cars.
    We, too, bought a car seat to take our baby home from hospital and used it for taxi trips for the first year. We bought a car before our second was born and she's still using the car seat at almost one. Overall, a good investment. Even if you don't want to purchase a car seat I would highly recommend borrowing one - so much safer than a sling/carrier.

alibali is offline Registered User
    We also used a carseat although we didn't have a car. I had a really fantastic stroller- it was a carseat and a kolcraft stroller frame, which I bought via asiaxpat. The carseat connected directly to the frame. When baby outgrew the carseat, we then carried her in an ergo carrier in the taxi with the seatbelt between her and myself- she faced towards me. Not the safest option, but the only practical one once baby has outgrown the carseat + stroller option. If you don't want to use a carseat, then you'll need to use a sling where the baby can lie flat/ almost flat and somehow use the taxi seatbelt to cover the sling straps and not the baby...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast