Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Public Hospitals

jaz1311 is offline Registered User
    hi

I have sent you a PM

mwong222 is offline Registered User
    to dink,

my wife gave birth a few weeks ago at QMH (public route) as well. I am surprised to read your husband wasn't with you when they induced you. i was with my wife the whole time. The only visiting hours i had to deal with was after the birth. also the only time i was not allowed with my wife was during surgery (she had c-section) and when we were waiting to enter the labour ward (water broke but no contractions so we had to wait until the hospital decided to induce). we were left alone for a long time though (no idea what the nurses were doing) during the inducement.

To peggy and Tony,

medically: public hospitals are better. many of the public hospitals do have private sectors so you can choose to go private in a public hospital.

economically: public route is much cheaper. i have heard for private, the fee can go up to 100,000 HKD. For public, it would need to be a very, very serious case, if you spent more than 500 HKD.

real life example: my colleague was suppose to pay 70k for his wife to have a c-section. their son was a premmie so their private doctor told them to go to public hospital (QMH) because the facilites are better. he ended up paying 500HKD because his son had to stay in the hospital for 1 month (due to prematurity) and his wife for 1 week (wife has health issues).

just remember that you do get what you paid for. if you just want professional service, then public is no problem. if you want to be pampered and comfortable, then do private. my wife was not so happy about how she was treated but for the price, she has little complaints (she was not so happy about the service). For the recovery ward, the only complaint she had was that the nurses kept waking her up every few hours at night to breastfeed so she was pretty tired.

also for public route, you cannot choose your hospital. you are assigned according to where you live.

Peggy&Tony is offline Registered User
    Congratulations Hannah... You're pretty much in the same situation as we are. I hope everything turns out wonderfully.

A few questions I have:
    Does anyone have any experience at Prince of Wales?
    Can the husband be with the wife during labor and birth at public hospitals?
    Does the mother have to take care of the baby 24/7 after birth or is the hospital willing to help in a public hospital?
    (my friend just gave birth at Union and the hospital takes care of the baby for the first few days)

Thank you very much for all your suggestions so far.
    Last edited by Peggy&Tony; 03-05-2009 at 09:35 AM.

pinnacle is offline Registered User
    1. I have a few friends who have delivered at Prince of Wales - they were VERY happy, even more so than the people I know who went to Queen Mary. The doctors at Prince of Wales sound excellent from what they said.

2. In public hospitals the husband is allowed to be with the wife for most of the labor (past 3cm dilated in the Queen Mary - not sure about the other hospitals) and definitely for the birth unless it is an emergency ceaser. Even then I have heard stories of husbands being very forceful and being allowed to be present.

3. Can only speak for the QM here. I had my baby with me 24/7 except for bathtime which the nurses took care of. I did state in my birthplan that I wanted my baby with me at all times though. They did have a baby room where they took the babies if the moms wanted to sleep and then they would bring the babies back to the moms for feeding every 3 hours. The definitely don't take care of the baby for you all the time as they want to see that you are capable of looking after the baby on your own I think, also the nursing staff are very busy themselves. The staff were very willing to help with anything though so if they see the mom is battling, I am sure they will do all they can to make things easier.

merryma is offline Registered User

Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital

I had my first one at the Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital in April last year... my overall experience was quite good. They are very breastfeeding supportive and my experience with the staff are generally good. The bonus is the cost: all for just about HK$1,000 (I had the epidural, stayed there for I think 4 nights and my baby was at the intensive care unit for a week)

It wasn't my initial plan, but when I called the private when my water broke, there was no place at 3 hospitals on the island...(I didn't pay the deposit as I was advised to cause I didn't believe the system works that way and didn't think we really need to fight for a place to deliver )

I am having another due this November. Before the outbreak of this Swine Flu thing, I am sure to want to go back to PYNEH again, unless there's a need to have my own OB to do the delivery, then I have to go private.

But now, I worrying if this Swine Flu would really happen like SARS, and crowded public hospital is definitely not a good place to go.

Cost is not really an issue for us, I think the reasons if I'd go private this time will be 1st: if I need my own ob to do the delivery, 2nd: the swine flu worries, 3rd: if I am so keen for smiley faces and more comfortable bed.
    The pathetic thing here in HK is that you need to place the deposit for an unguranteed placement right the beginning of pregnancy if you want to go private, and I was told that only Canossa and Adventis are available now (another 2 my OB would go, Matilda and Sanatorium are fully booked till the end of the year).

I have never delivered at the private, I may not able to comment much. But so far, I have heard many negative things about Canossa and Adventis such as breastfeeding support, and moms don't get to see or be with their babies the 1st 24 hours...And if I am wrong to say this, but do hear lots of moms at private are "persuaded" to go for c-section at the end, which saves the mess and the time for the doc and the hospital. Even more ridiculous that most babies at private are born around 3 -5pm, when the doc are more free at the clinic, at most cases the nurses at the hospitals have a way to stop the babies coming out before the doc is free to come to do the delivery. How true is this? Not sure...

Many people did tell me about the unfriendliness at the public too, but after my own experience I think it's really how we treat others to expect how we will be treated. I think some patients in the public are not too friendly and polite themselves, some are even very rude and inconsiderate.. I wonder how they would expect the staff to treat them back, especially if they don't pay them
    and I would think even if some of the staff may be too stressed up to put up a smile, who cares, so long as they do what they need to do for me and my baby...
    After this, I can go to a luxury spa and medicure to get plenty of smiley faces

carang is offline Registered User
    i don't think you have any cause to worry about 'swine flu'.

merryma is offline Registered User
    Ya Carang

another drawback about public hospitals that some moms concern about will be they have a group of junior doctors watching. And if you are not that lucky, you end up being stitched by a not too skillful doctor :)

In my case, one of the doctor who was suppsed to remove the epidural tube from my back didn't know how to do it, so a senior nurse/ midwife did it for the doc... I was a bit like, huh?!!

Good luck all moms...

carang is offline Registered User
    if you are uncomfortable with others watching, then ask that they not and see what they say. they may ask you nicely to please allow them as QMH is a teaching hospital. i don't think that's the case with pamela youde.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast