Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Public Hospitals

lisa88 is offline Registered User
    I gave birth to our first baby at Prince of Wales Shatin, and would definitely go back there to have our second. I had had a straightforward pregnancy and all the tests showed baby was very healthy. So it was a surprise that I had delivery complications and needed an emergency c-section. I had planned a natural birth and the team was happy to follow my birth plan. Then we discovered that I had a cord prolapse and baby would suffer oxygen deprivation unless she was born immediately. The staff reacted promptly and my baby was born within 10 minutes of my being wheeled into the op theatre. I was monitored very closely for the 1st 12 hours after delivery. In the postnatal ward, care was very professional if not businesslike, coz they were so busy. But no staff was rude or condescending and no patient was ignored. The priority was for patients in pain - some were, coming out of their c-sections. Some nurses coached me with breastfeeding. One nurse sat down with me for an hour to learn how to get my baby to latch on. My stay was a 'no frills' experience but I did not mind as I could see the medical care was excellent and I would be home in 4 days. Not much privacy either. Visiting hours were only 2 hours/day and 2 visitors each time. Food was not great, quite bland, so I had meals brought from home. I had not planned to give birth in a public hospital. It was only because I was new to HK and did not know I had to book early. So I had antenatal check ups with a private obstetrician. In addition, I had my major milestone screenings/tests at the POW antenatal clinic so that they would have my records and it was also to save on costs. The downside was the queueing. I noticed that the medical approach tended to be conservative if there was any hint of a risk. I thought I had the best of both worlds as my private obstetrician was able to give me the extra attention I sometimes wanted yet I had the assurance of the medical expertise in the public system. My hospital bill came to the princely sum of $450 whereas in the private system we would have paid in excess of $100,000. It wasn't about the money however. All the time I felt I was in good hands at POW.

papa2b is offline Registered User
    My wife recently gave birth at Queen Mary Hospital and whilst we were considering delivering privately at Matilda, I am EXTREMELY pleased with our decision to go to QMH. Like the previous poster, our pregnancy was very routine up until the delivery, where my wife also needed an emergency c-section - but the dedication and professionalism of the doctors and midwives was amazing!

A couple of points from my side;

1) I think we made an extremely wise to choose QMH over some of the private alternatives. I can honestly say from my experience there that the quality of medical care is absolutely top notch. We ran into a spot of trouble during labour and had to have an emergency-C section - whilst extremely nerve racking for me, I felt immediately reassured when i saw how the medical and nursing teams were going about their work. Trust me, they are absolute professionals, and you wouldn't want to have anything less.

2) Aftercare, whilst without the frills of some of the private hospitals were pretty good. My advise is to make 'friends' with a nurse from each of the shifts. You will have a much better time. Oh and, the nurses in blue/white uniform are much nicer on the whole and willing to help than the matrons in white/red.

3) Wear their clothes! One of the things mentioned on our birthplan was that she would rather wear her own nightgowns in order to be as comfortable as possible. Well, its a messy affair and it soon dawned on us that wearing their clothes is not such a bad idea!

3) BRING YOUR OWN FOOD! I made breakfast, lunch, dinner deliveries everyday. It was also nice to sit outside the ward and have lunch together - See below;

4) Because of swine flu, they have reduced their visiting hours to just 6-8pm every day. I also believe that since we delivered, the have tightened these restrictions due to the increasing cases of swine flu.

5) One last point, don't bother going for a mani/pedi prior to your expected due date (as she did) as I was sat during labour wiping off all the nail polish as per hospital rules.

If you have any questions about the QMH experience, please don't hesitate to ask!

carang is offline Registered User
    jsut to let you know... you can't have polish because in case they need to see the colour of your fingertips, toenails during delivery to ensure you are getting enough oxygen etc.

jaz1311 is offline Registered User
    Hi

Congrats

Well if you are going public they are generally good but if you are having medical complication be very sure that you know your own condition well, cos in my case they got my file mixed up with another patients file 1 week before my delivery and due to this mixed up my hubby did not want to take the risk so I ended up in the private hospital.

I was on private care too at the time, in order to have regular u/s and more regular check up due to my medical condition.

carang is offline Registered User
    funny you should say that.... if there are any major complications, the private hospital will send you directly to the public hospital....

you should ALWAYS ask questions when they are giving you their advice.

i have noticed in the public system, that they are VERY careful about everything. when dispensing medications there are minimum 2 nurses doing it, double and triple checking everything. before you are taken in for an operation, they ask you what you are in for. when you come out, they tell you the information about your baby (if you had a c-section under general anesthesia) and then repeatedly question you over the next few hours to make sure that you are coming off meds alright and that you are not having any other neural problems.

of course, mistakes can happen and they can happen in any hospital you go to, even private ones. (i had a friend who had MAJOR complications after having an operation at matilda~she wasn't pregnant~ MAJOR mix-ups, screw ups and ineptness from that hospital for her).

papa2b is offline Registered User
    Actually yes, they seemed very detailed when prescribing meds and generally to make sure that you are who you are!

All forms were explained to us in detail and whenever medicine was administered, another nurse would come in to ask my wife personal details such as blood type, date of birth, id card no. etc, just to double check.

Mistakes can happen anywhere, but i truly think that quality of care and expertise is unmatched at QMH.

bubi is offline Registered User
    Hello everyone,

Does anyone here delivered in Queen Elizabeth Hospital? Could you please tell me your experiences? This is our first baby and i just like to know what to expect. I am not really the kind of person who expect a lot, i just want my baby to be with me as soon as she is delivered. I would like to be able to take care of here asap hoping that everything goes well with the delivery. (crossing my fingers)
    Thanks in advance already, i would really appreciate any info about the hospital and experiences there.

x

mama-to-be is offline Registered User
    Hi Papa2b
    Were you allowed in the delivery room when your wife had the baby? Just been hearing that due to increasing swine flu cases husbands are not allowed in the delivery room - which is very worrying as I am due in 8 weeks. I'm also delivering in Princess Margaret Hospital where all the swine flu patients seem to be sent to! But I don't have a choice as I live in Tung Chung

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast