Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Dr. Cora Ngai

alibali is offline Registered User

Dr. Cora Ngai

Hi, Has anyone had Dr. Cora Ngai as their obstetrician? I am due in 2 weeks and am a bit worried about her stance on natural delivery. I've been seeing her since Xmas and all seemed fine, but the last few visits I've had with her have me wondering now... She talks a lot about C-sections and says that she does more of them b/c of her normal clientele- older, fertility treatments, complicated births, etc. Yesterday we found that I have slightly high blood pressure, swollen ankles, protein in the urine and she wants to induce me. She seems like the type that wants everything wrapped up nice and neat and I'm worried that she might be a bit hasty in suggesting induction, etc. (I was induced during my first pregnancy and it wasn't an enjoyable experience). So I'd love to hear anyone else's impressions of her- quick to suggest medical intervention rather than letting nature take it's course, etc. Thanks!

Jjald is offline Registered User
    I have only met her a couple of time so far but I would agree that everything is very business-like and she would prefer to have it wrapped up quickly.

Maybe lose your temper / put your foot down now? If you go into labour you might not get the chance! But also maybe take medical advice from your GP re protein in urine etc. If they suggest inducing then maybe it is best.

dimsum mum is offline Registered User
    dr ngai delivered my kids at 26w (i'm one o those fertility treatments she referred to!) and they were by emergency c-section.

but i did see her throughout my (short) pregnancy and i found her very willing to listen to my ideas and plans. she is a good dr with a lot of experience.

she knows your preference, right? to be carefully monitored and go try for natural childbirth? like the pp suggested, i would keep stressing that.

good luck!

qiqinyc is offline Registered User
    I had my first baby natural delivery with Dr. Ngai 2 years ago. I told her quite early on I am going to try it naturally. She was supportive. She also helped a friend of mine thru an 18-hr natural labor last month. I think she probably suggested C-section for some reason.

MamaC is offline Registered User
    I would really suggest you to reconsider if she's the right person for you,i had bad experience with her and i think she's not responsible.good luck to u~~~~~

alibali is offline Registered User
    Hi, Would just like to share my positive experience with Dr. Ngai. She delivered by baby 4 weeks ago and it was a great experience (as compared to my first at a public hospital). She was very reassuring before pushing and even though I had a walking epidural and could not feel much, I got the baby out in about 5 pushes with no pain at all. I never thought a painless delivery would be possible! I was a bit wary of Dr. Ngai during the prenatal appointments as I kept having to repeat answers to questions asked in previous meetings. I realized that the doctor is incredibly busy and I guess she can't always be on the ball after having been at a delivery during the night, etc. But she came to my delivery totally prepared, knowing my birth plan, etc. Also, I learned to call ahead of my appointments to make sure she was in the office- I think the mgmt of her office could be better as the receptionists never bothered to call on two occasions to tell me that my appointment would be delayed 1+ hours b/c the doctor had a delivery, etc. And some of the nurses are nicer than others... Even so, I would highly recommend her.

Mom-2-B is offline Registered User
    Dont go to Cora Ngai.. she was not very nice and does not explain things to you properly.. when i went to her for a checkup and found out my baby's heartbeat stopped beating she was not sympathetic at all.. did not explain to us how this happens just said that 15% of pregnancies end this way as if we should have known this.. told me to go home and wait to bleed out or i can come back if i want the surgery but didnt give us any details or anything on my choices.. when asked if another ultrasound could be done as maybe she could have made a mistake she smiled and said she cant be wrong.. even before this happened though when i was coming for my other checkups she was not very nice too.. she would do her checks just tell us the baby is fine then thats it.. kind of like Lucy Lord but atleast with Lucy she would go into some details with u and explain things so u know wats going on..

shevaun.leach is offline Registered User
    I'm genuinely shocked and sorry to hear that some have had a negative experience with Cora Ngai. I initially went to her as a medical friend put me in touch (seems she is highly respected among peers) and now recommend her to all my friends.

Personally, I cannot vouch for her enough. We had a fantastic experience - pregnancy, birth and beyond. Cora is always professional, courteous, reassuring and nurturing - and most importantly, never made me feel rushed. If you are looking for a Doctor to dish out lots of fluff, look elsewhere. If you need a professsional, that is calm, knowledgeable and organised, she is the one for you.

If you feel strongly about something tell her...you should have to ask a few questions to ensure you get the birth plan you choose, she isn't a mindreader. I had a natural delivery (with a little help from her fab anaesthetist, and if anything, she persuaded me away from c-section. Yes, she likes to organise everything that can be, which I like as it made me feel that we were in control of something while I was on the pregnant rollercoaster.

Not only do her nursing staff warn you if she is going to be late/need to reschedule (incredibly, this only happened once), she has actually been through birth herself - so her advice isn't just textbook medical.