Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hiring a helper - help with the paperwork!

sarah+ is offline Registered User

Hiring a helper - help with the paperwork!

Hi All,

We have finally made the decision to hire a helper.

We've completed some interviews and have found a couple of helpers we really like (we found them ourselves through recommendation etc.)

I hear the paperwork is a nightmare. I've done some googling and reading of the HK Immigration site, but can't find a clear explanation of exactly what docuents I need to prepare - and for whom - as I think some have to go to the Philippines consulate? There is some urgency, as my first choice's visa expires in about a week.

Do I need to go through an agency to facilitate this process? I heard that I do?

Would anyone who has gone through this process be kind enough to give me an overview? Also, any ideas of expenses associated with this hiring process?

rani is offline Administrator

If your helper is in Hong Kong then she can do the paperwork. It's quite simple. You need to pick up the Pack from Immigration which includes the contract and lists all the supporting documents they require.

First she'll need to go the Consulate. You'll find a list of documents she will need here:
    http://www.philcongen-hk.com/labor/main.htm

Once the contract has been signed and chopped by the Consulate, she will need to take it to Immigration.

Have a read through the similar threads below

mushi is offline Registered User

rani is right...it is quite a simple process once u read the contract pack and if she is already wokring in HK she would know what to do....no need to waste money on agency....

Thanks for the advice :) I think I'm piecing things together now.

The only things I'm unclear on now are:

1) The medical - does the helper arrange this themselves while back at home? How much is reasonable to pay for this?

2) The plane ticket - In the list of documents I need to provide the Philippines consulte, it lists a plane ticket. I don't know the exact date of return for my proposed new helper yet, as it will depend on when the processing by HK is complete etc. It's usually more expensive to by an open or changeable ticket. Are there other options? e.g. can I write a letter saying I will buy the ticket etc.?

Thanks again :)

Portia is offline Registered User

It is better for you to arrange the medical here in HK so that you do not need to proceed with the contract if you are unhappy with the results. I think it costs around $800 and most GPs will have a standard package. You don't need an agency if the helper has finished her contract. You have to use an agency (since 1 Jan 2009) for break contracts or direct hire from Philippines.

Ok, so because the contract of my proposed helper was terminated by her employer (they left), I must use an agency? Can you let me know where you saw this info? Just wondering as I didn't see it on the Philippines consulate website. Thanks for your help :)

cesh is offline Registered User

Some local home insurance policies will have an option to cover a helper. I know our policy through my husband's work has that as an optional extra so you can then get cover for all aspects of having a helper ie medical, damage, liability etc. It might be worth checking what extras you can get through your current home & contents insurance as it might save you money and hassle.

Portia is offline Registered User

Sarah+
    I've just looked at the Phils Consulate website again and it looks like the agency requirement is now just limited to new direct hires from the Philippines. Sorry to give you the wrong info and confuse you, but when I started processing my FDH's contract last month that was the position as explained to me by both my FDH and the agency. Maybe it changed because there were protests from the FDHs at the Phils Consulate. Also, one other big difference, my FDH is a break contract not because of employer leaving (like your future FDH), financial reasons, death or any of the accepted reasons, she just didn't like her employer and break-contracts without an accepted reason must return to the Philippines to process and are treated as direct name hires.

Anyway, you'll find the step-by-step procedures under the Advisory heading (items 5 and 6) for the Phils Consulate processing part of the process under this link: http://www.philcongen-hk.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast