Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are there any moms out there without a helper?

chelle_law is offline Registered User

Are there any moms out there without a helper?

We recently moved to HK from the states just a few weeks ago. The thought of hiring a domestic helper had never even crossed my mind. I never knew that helpers were such a big part of expat life here in HK. Since we are living in a serviced apartment we don't really plan on getting a helper. I thought a good way to meet other moms with kids would be at the playground, but all I have found so far is children and their helpers. Are there any other moms out there without helpers?

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    There are some mums without helpers, but not many I guess because it's so cheap to have help and expats often consider their time here as the only time they'll likely be able to afford full time help so why not do it!

It's finding them that is the hard part. As you've seen, most playgrounds are full of kids with helpers which often makes mums feel unwelcome! This site might be your best bet so keep popping on to see who is around and who replies to your question. Have you got a club membership? Some clubs don't allow helpers in so it's the perfect time to meet other mothers. Enrolling your child in activities might be another way to meet mums but again you'll have to be careful that it's one that only mums can attend otherwise you'll find the usual helper to mum ratio problem!

How old is your child/ren? Do you have a car or are you planning on getting one?

slamdunk is offline Registered User
    There are plenty of mums (who have helpers) who take their kids to activities themselves (including public playgrounds) that you could meet. aussiegal is right that you can probably meet these better at the arranged kids activities (e.g. gymboree, kindermusik etc depending on the age of your kids).

the playground is an easy option for helpers minding children as it is free... and hong kong mums don't mind paying for regular activities or classes.

ctrbabe1 is offline Registered User
    I've been in HK for over 5 years, have 2 kids and don't have a helper. I have lots of "mom" friends from church, but there is rarely a parent at the playground. Maybe if we add child #3 down the road, we will get a helper, but a lot of things have to fall into line first. (Like moving into a place big enough to have a helper!) lol.

Welcome to HK! How old are your kids?
    Last edited by ctrbabe1; 03-08-2009 at 10:40 PM. Reason: typo
    All the best,
    Katie

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I`m just about the move to HK from Mainland, where many of the expats also have helpers, and I won`t be getting one for sure. One reason is that my husband`s salary isn`t high enough, another is because I just have an 8 week old baby and will have a tiny little apartment, and the third reason is because I just wouldn`t feel comfortable having someone around all the time, taking care of my kid, and especially living in. The most I would get is a semi-regular part time cleaner, which I will be looking for soon enough:)

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    In my mothers group I think it was about half and half who had/didn't have helpers (although some of those that didn't did have a cleaner). One had two kids - I don't know how she did it although I can understand it better now 'cause she is back in Australia and it is hard to give up that extra help!

Those that did have helpers took their kids to playgrounds and activities - not all the time as they were more than likely working but I would often run into other mums.

chelle_law is offline Registered User
    Thanks for all the fast responses! I am glad I am not alone. When I found out we were going to live in a serviced apartment, and that meant cleaners I was so excited- back in the states I never had a cleaner so this was cause for big celebration for me! I thought 'wow, that will give me more time to spend with my son and plan activities with other mom/babies'. I told my husband I felt spoiled with a cleaner and that it will be hard to give up when we have to move back to the states :) I have only been here a few weeks, but not really being able to meet any moms yet I can't help but feel a little isolated. I did sign my son up for a Kindermusik class offered at Parkview where we live, she said there are only 3 other kids enrolled but hopefully that means it will be easier to make friends with them. I did notice most activities here are rather pricey, so we can't really afford to sign our son up for much more. I used to take my son to all kinds of free story-times and such back in the states. I haven't found that here yet, am I just not looking in the right place? I got a library card and asked if they had a schedule of story-times at all the branches but I think there was a language barrier because she gave me some answer that didn't make sense. On a more positive note, I am loving HK so far! I take my son out often and we explore the city together. There is a lot to see and I find it so exciting.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    i just moved to HK from the States in June and never had a helper before. We moved with our then 5 month year old son. We were in a serviced apt and then moved to the southside. Help is really inexpensive compared to the States. We got a helper at the end of September and she's been wonderful as she mostly takes care of our apartment which means I can spend more quality time with my son. We do lots of playgroups with just my son and I and she also goes to a helper/child playgroup.

yes, the playgrounds here seem to be mostly helpers b/c it's safe and the helpers don't need to take a taxi/bus there. It's a controlled environment and it's great when I need a quick nap, need to go the gym or run into Central.

We are still getting used to our helper and living with someone else 24/7 and it's been 7 months, but you can certainly find a routine and a balance that suits you and your helper if you do decide to get one down the road. She/he is there to make YOUR life easier and will follow your structure and needs.

Like others have said, I have met most other mothers in our playgroups and activities that I've signed my now 14 month year old up for.

Since you live at Parkview, there should be many playgroups available to you either helper/child or mum/child. If not, you can always post up a sign on the resident's board and start one yourself!
    Last edited by southside852; 03-09-2009 at 08:46 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast