Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

stroller in the taxi trunk

thundacatchergo is offline Registered User

guys, its only five bucks.

kiwiinoz is offline Registered User

You're right... it is only $5, but it is the principle of accessibility as a charge that is an issue for me. A child using a stroller is using one because they NEED to most of the time. I am sure other mums out there like myself can't wait to no longer have to lug a stroller with me almost everywhere we go around HK.

I tip taxi drivers a lot of the time for their service and efficiency (I've been purposely driven 'the long way around' several times... but that's another thread in itself). I won't tip if they charge me for my stroller.... they've already taken the courtesy I would give them greedily for themselves by preying on the fact I can't get around without the stroller.

spockey is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by thundacatchergo View Post
    guys, its only five bucks.
    I'm going to agree. Given that my cab driver lives in an apartment the size of a shoebox. His has a 200 sq ft apartment shared with 4 other family members in the "slums" of Tin Shui Wai. And, he has to make at least $1000 a day just to break even, if he charges me an extra $5, I'm not going to fuss when my salary is WAY more than his.

I know it's a matter of principal but sometimes, we forget how hard some of them have it and making it worse for them under the economic climate (coz their incomes have shrunk). I know that they've had a fare hike but really, how many cab drivers do we know are "living it up" like we are? Most are primary bread winners.

We've been in situations where we've been billed and no, we don't make a fuss. Given the exchange rate, it's just AUD1.

HK2008 is offline Registered User

I'm gonna support kiwiinoz. I've never been charged for my stroller and am surprised to know now that they can do that. Like kiwiinoz said, we always tip taxi drivers. And we feel happy when rewarding someone for a job well done. However, I'd be quite annoyed when being forced to pay even as little as 5 dollars, as I believe some allowance/consideration should be made to parents who have a special need to carry their stroller around. We can easily apply the same treatment that airlines do on our stroller and they even give an extra allowance---a bag of baby nappies/food for free!

Yes I agree $5 is nothing, but principle is everything.

Buckeroo is offline Registered User

I know it can be very annoying when we feel that we have to pay for something for which we are not normally charged, but we have to remember that it is entirely at the driver's discretion whether or not they charge us for the strollers we choose to put in the trunk. Nowhere does it say that they cannot charge us for these. See this link from the Transportation Dept's website:

http://www.td.gov.hk/transport_in_ho...kong/index.htm

Last edited by Buckeroo; 03-10-2009 at 06:43 PM. Reason: missing words

HK2008 is offline Registered User

Yeah...I can see it wasn't clearly spelled out. What a shame!!! I think it really should add stroller to the list! Or should we just consider that as part of the cost of raising kids, ey?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12