Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Utensils for preparing baby's food

sherwes is offline Registered User
    Ditto.....

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    I forgot to add... a pair of baby food scissors. Not for when you're just starting out solids, but for when your baby progresses on to table foods.

The little food containers (with lids) that the others have mentioned are great for storing little finger foods (Cheerios, cut-up pieces of grapes, cheese, baby rice crackers, etc.)

jaetee is offline Registered User
    I like the Beaba Babycook - we still use it everyday. It is convenient for steaming and for grinding things up if needed. We steam sterilized (in the microwave) baby's utensils and bowls.

babymommy2 is offline Registered User
    The only thing you really need, apart from a few spoons and bowls is a food grinder. I used this one with the carrying case.

http://www.cheekymonkey.ca/KidCo.htm

I didn't buy it from that particular store, but just found a picture of it on there.

a grinder is so eary, you just grind up whatever it is you are eating your self, at home or in a restaurant (assuming not to spicy or anything of course) and you have instant baby food. Much easeir that cooking up food, blending it, pouring into ice cube trays freezing, labeling, cleaning up the blender. I tried that route a few times with my first baby, but it is a lot of work and my babies hated pureed food of any type, so I spent all this time makeing purees and it was never eaten. the grinded food has more texture that puree. I used it mainly for meats, but you can put anything in it.

Frozen foods are very healthy. They are picked at the peak time and because of that retain their nutrients, much more so that boiling food where the nutrients are leaching into the water, though you can used the stocks for soups/stew etc and that is very healthy. Steaming is best for retaining nutrients, but admit I never did this as my steamer took forever to cook foor. Roasted food retains nutrients as well. Carrots are very very sweet when roasted. My favorite baby foods to make were beef stew becasue teh meat is very tender, then I would grind it up, and the veggies can be grinded, mashed, or left is small peices and it is all so soft and easy to meat and in a rich meaty broth, great for iron. Also I like beef roast with roasted potatoes and carrots. This is the absolute esaiest meal you could possibly make. throw in a pot in the oven and leave until it is cooked. Grind the meat, and mashed the veggies, instant baby food.

yuukalim0404 is offline Registered User
    Thanks all for input, I bought a electric mini grinder yesterday. By the way, is it ok to just wash baby's bowl and spoon( with the antibacterial wash for baby's stuff) and not sterilize? My baby is 6months old.
    Which brings me to another question if we still need to sterilize dummies as well?
    Thanks!

babymommy2 is offline Registered User
    Once your baby is of the age where they are picking things up and putting them in their mouths it really isn't necessary to sterilze the bottles, soothers, etc. Wash of course but not sterilze.n This is assuming your water supply is fine, I'm not really sure about the water in HOng kong. My babies started solids around6.5 to 7 months so I only washed with hot soapy water. It is not good to use antibacterial soaps for baby, or for anyone. It leads to drug resistance.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    my son is now 15 months and we still sterilize his spoons and pacifiers. it takes 2 seconds to dump them in the sterilizer. it's true that they have of course had much worse in their mouth, but sterilizing doesn't hurt and can only help.

carang is offline Registered User
    sterilising pretty much went out the window when i found my 5 month old had crawled over to the shoe rack and was munching on a shoe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12