Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

forward facing car seat

babymommy2 is offline Registered User
    Here is a link about rear and forward facing car seats, and lots of other car seat information. This is a very well respected agency in Canada and thier information is credible.

We switched our kids around 17 or 18 months. One of them really did not like the car and cried every single time we hit a red light, but in time they just get used to it. At that age babies get bored so easily. It will be better once a bit older.

http://www.safekidscanada.ca/SKCForP...at&sssID=11572

ninahh is offline Registered User
    we tried the mirror as well as the toys, but nothing really works. her neck is already quite strong, but i guess 5 month is too early?
    for now i'm trying to avoid the car and use the taxi

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    We switched our first born at 4 months. He was a big boy from birth (over 4.25kg) and could hold his head up by himself really early so he was physically able to go face forward. Our second born son went face forward at 6 months.

It's not really about age, it's about size, neck control etc (as others have mentioned). There are always guidelines out there but they have to cater to being overly careful given that some people can't work out for themselves when their child is truly capable of sitting forward. Some people see things like that as their child reaching a milestone (when it has nothing to do with it) so they want to move their kids forward early.

I have a friend with an absolutely massive 2 and a half year old. And i mean massive. There is not a regular car seat that he can comfortably fit into so he is already in a booster despite the guidelines stating children shouldn't move into boosters before the age of 4. You just have to take a good honest look at the situation. Is your daughter big and strong enough to face forward or are you just trying to get her to enjoy the car journeys more? If it's the latter then wait a bit longer and wear ear muffs!

ninahh is offline Registered User
    i think she is quite strong, 7,5 kg and holding up her head quite well, but how can i be sure? can i ask the paediatrician?
    it's not a big problem for me actually, it's just that i feel sorry for her

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Ultimately, it's all about safety... and I think probably that her being in a forward facing car seat would probably be safer than in a taxi, if you look at it like that!! If I were you, I'd try turning her seat around and see how that goes. But I tend to be less cautious than a lot of people I know!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12