Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

light-brown spotting at week 4

merryma is offline Registered User

light-brown spotting at week 4

I have just tested positive for my 2nd pregnancy...which my hubby and I can't be happier, but on the same day evening, yesterday, I noticed some light brown stain on the panty,The stain is brownish and only very little... so I ran to my obs and had a ultrasound scan, further confirmed the good news... the the doc prescribed me the Utrogestan, to take 400MG daily. for 15 days
    my hubby is very freak out and he thinks bed rest is very important, but my obs doesn't seem to think bed rest to be THAT IMPORTANT...
    I work fulltime, financial services field, I want try to avoid unnecessary leaves...
    Does anyone of you have such experience in early preg? how did you deal with it? how was it then? did you take utrogestan/pregesterone?

my first boy is 11+months now, I can't wait to bring him a little brother/sister soon

AussieMum is offline Registered User

Firstly congratulations on your pregnancy, that is great news.

I am currently pregnant with my second child, and I had this same situation both with this pregnancy and my first. For me, it also occurred around the 4, 8 and 12 week mark, similar to a very mini period (exactly as you had explained). I am not 21 weeks and haven't seen anything since 12 weeks. Each time I consulted with the doctor and described how I felt and what was happening and every time they were not concerned. They advised me it was quite common, but important to continually monitor (ie, if bleeding became heavier, obtained flu like symptoms etc). Each time the bleeding only lasted around 2 or 3 days. I never received any prescriptions though to help.

You have done the right thing in going to visit your Ob as soon as there is a concern, hopefully they have given you specific instructions on what to look for, how long it may last, etc. I am not familiar with what the doctor has prescribed you, or for what reason, but if you are unsure maybe a second option may be of help, especially if you and your husband are in dissagreeance on whether you should take the prescription or not.

Best of luck - with this and the pregnancy.

dimsum mum is offline Registered User

although any spotting is scary, brownish "old blood" spotting is nothing to be too worked up about.

bright red blood is when you need to get concerned.

you did the right thing in going to your re, however i agree with your re that bedrest is not necessary. i would avoid heavy lifting, hot baths, saunas and 0rga.s. m, for the next few weeks.

i spotted throughout the first trimester of my second pregnancy.

good luck, i hope the spotting was just a one off occurrance.

Thank you

Thanks so much for the replies...

I will continue the Utrogestan prescribed by my obs, and going to have another ultrasound scan a week later...

would love to hear if any other moms have/had similar experience too...

lylee is offline Registered User

Though I didn't have bleeding, my OB did make me take the Utrogestan/progesterone for 3 mos. Did a blood test very early on in the pregnancy & apparently I was very low on this hormone. He mentioned this means the risk of miscarriage is higher... I didn't bed rest & in fact exercised throughout the whole pregnancy as my OB said it was OK.

Not sure about you, but the progesterone made me feel very nauseous, so take good care & congrats on your pregnancy!

Oct09Mom is offline Registered User

Don't worry

Quote Originally Posted by merryma View Post
    Thanks so much for the replies...

I will continue the Utrogestan prescribed by my obs, and going to have another ultrasound scan a week later...

would love to hear if any other moms have/had similar experience too...
    Hi,

Congrats on your pregnancy.

I can understand how you must be feeling. I got the confirmed news of pregnancy and did not do any heavy activity just by chance..Still in early 5th week, I had spotting,I panicked, fainted twice.Since I got to see this spotting the very first thing in the morning..I fainted for few minutes after calling my husband..when he came and went to see Dr. A Ghosh .I know, how scary is this feeling, coz I went through it when Dr. Ghosh was busy in a delivery and I had to wait for some 2 hours. I was scanned and I asked the doc if everything is alright. His facial expression gave me a hint and while he was explaining that there might be a risk as its too early and only a sac is there....Hearing this,I fainted in his clinic and fell down on the floor. Soon I was sent to the other room and checked thoroughly. I had skipped my breakfast due to all this tension. Remember, breakfast is the most important meal so I was given some juice and food soon...Once I was fine after spending an hour,I met the doc and he advised to refrain from any intercourse and heavy activity and to take more and more rest....Blood tests were done in an interval of 3 days and to my satisfaction,everything was fine. this spotting changed to brownish discharge the very next day and got over on 3rd day....I did read lot many articles for reassurance and finally decided to be as stress free as possible..... I took leave from my work and was completely at home.No activities just to avoid any risks..

You did the best thing to see your Ob.It gives not only right medication on time,also the reassurance from doctor and ultrasound scan....

I went for my next scheduled appointment in 6 weeks and was delighted to hear the heartbeat for the first time...Everything was going fine and one fine morning in my late 7 week, I noticed slight bleeding and this time it was more than the 5th week but I managed myself..Went to Matilda and after the scan,doc told that there can be a risk and I might experience spotting again before my 11 th week. But I am given Progesterone for 30 days.Will get to know further in my next appointment which is a week later....

One thing is,I know that the situation seems to be scary but there are number of cases where pregnancy goes quite well after early spotting.Best thing is to follow your Doctor.If he has advised you to take full rest, do take..Otherwise also, go easy..First trimester is a bit more about risks and precautions..

Hope this helps you....Will keep you posted.

Thanks Oct09mom. So, how many weeks exactly are u now? I hope things are going well with you too.

I had a heavy bleeding last weekend, fresh red blood like the menstr, I didn't feel any pain, and discovered the blood when I went to toilet. I went straight to the hospital and stayed there for a night. The blood stop the next day and I was discharged. I could see and hear the heatbeat through the ultrasound, and am in 7 weeks now according to the size of the yolk sac. :yeah2
    Now I am ordered to rest as much as possible to increase the chance of better implantation. Here's the article describe my situation for your reference.
    What are some of the causes of first trimester bleeding? at StorkNet's Pregnancy Cubby

MLBW Guest

Yeah, I agree...brown blood isn't unusual. I had the exact same experience you are describing. Took a pregnancy test that turned out positive and a week later had a few days of spotting. Freaked me out so wen to the OBGYN who did an internal ultrasound and confirmed the pregnancy. I was about 4 weeks pregnant at that point.

She told us not to have intercourse for 8 weeks as I thought that maybe that had brought about the bleeding. We promptly ignored that advice and everything was fine.

Unless you are a high-risk case (older woman, history of illness, special reproductive condition) I don't even think you should be taking meds for this. If it's red blood then you could be miscarrying but brown blood is very normal or a tiny bit of light red spotting.

Of course, that's my non-medical advice but here in HK OBGYN's tend to overreact and use scare tactics on their patients. I basically ignored about 75% of everything my OBGYN said (a local doctor) as most of it was nonsense and hysteria (I was checking with my regular doctor and nurses in the States to make sure).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast