Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Advice needed in school search

BeaMae is offline Registered User

Advice needed in school search

Hello,

I have just arrived in HK and will begin the process of finding a school for my daughter, who will be 3 in November. From what I have read schools fill up quickly and well in advance, so I know I am getting a late start. But I am hoping to find a spot for her in September. I have read a number of the threads and I have a visit scheduled at the IMS and have contacted CDB, but I am not tied to Montessori. Any advice as to where/how to start looking? We live in Pok Fu Lam.

Thanks so much.

sea princess is offline Registered User

schools

Hi BeaMae
    Where will you be living? It's pretty easy to get your child into Preschools (3-5 year kinder's) without wait lists providing you are not fussy with morning times versus afternoon times.
    The difficulty is getting them into international schools from Reception (the year they turn 4 years or P1, they year they turn 5) unless their names have been down for a while even with corporate debentures as most companies hang on to these and they don't come up too often. That's what I've experienced anyway!
    Assuming you are American, you should contact the HKIS in Tai Tam as you will have priority there if looking for an international school? I think they start from reception (or it could be pre-reception?)
    ESF schools could be another option for you, but later on down the track. ESF's operate on a zone system, so you are zoned into the closet school in your area. Applications open the year before their start date in Aug/sept from memory and children start the year they turn 5.
    Good luck.

sea princess is offline Registered User

schools

oh, sorry, just re-read and see you are in Pokfalum!

southside852 is offline Registered User
    HKIS' primary school's campus is in Repulse Bay. Tai Tam houses the highschool. It doesn't really matter where you live as all these schools have huge buses which do pick-ups and drop-offs at all the major ex-pat buildings along the southside.

dimsum mum is offline Registered User
    there are def. kids in pokfulam attending HKIS. it is a great school!!

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Kennedy Junior School (under the ESF system) / Kellet are in the Pokfulam area. Kellet does not go into secondary school, but have heard wonderful things about it. HKIS is of course good and coming from an American school, you would have priority. That being said, you should go to the HKIS website to fill in a form asap to get your application in and start waiting for interviews to come around ....never too early! :) Good luck!

BeaMae is offline Registered User
    Thanks for all the feedback!!