Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Matilda - getting a room

ryszarda is offline Registered User

Matilda - getting a room

Hello Everybody,

I'm currently 11 weeks pregnant and living in the UK. I will be moving to HK end of April. I would like to give birth at Matilda and thanks to your forum learnt that it is not the easiest hospital to get into. I went to HK two weeks ago (when I was 9 weeks) saw Dr.Ferguson and had my application sent to Matilda by her. I got a replay from Matilda two days later that said 'your booking status- deferred'. I'm a little nervous given the fact that it is my first baby and I don't have much of clue how the health care system works in HK. Has anybody recently applied to Matilda and got the same replay? How long do you have to wait for the hospital confirmation? Also, what happens if Matilda eventually turns you down and you find out that all other private hospitals are book already?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Anna

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    It's standard for them to defer confirmation. You are only 11 weeks pregnant so you'll be at the top of their list. I really don't think you have anything to worry about. I had a baby there almost 2 years ago at the height of the baby boom(!) and didn't get confirmation til a week before. But, I only came to HK when i was 6 months pregnant so was booking late. That was scary. My Obs was always confident (he'd never had anyone rejected before) it would come through so I felt somewhat reassured. This week I'm 'due' with another baby but as I put my name down at 10 weeks my confirmation came through a few months ago.

THanks so much for the info. I suppose i have nothing else left but sit patiently and wait.

newbiekt is offline Registered User
    Sorry to disagree, but I got confirmed through my doctor immediately at 9 weeks and I'm due to deliver at Matilda in 7 weeks. I would keep on your OB/GYN's case every few weeks to see what the update is. Has Dr Ferguson's practice made reassuring noises about you getting a room?

fee
    fee is offline Registered User
    I am also on the waiting list at Matilida. Am not worried though as I have a plan B - I am also registered in the public system. This is my third baby with natural and C-section birth experience so I guess I am in a position to be a bit more relaxed... My public experience to date has been fantastic.

Flack is offline Registered User
    I was confirmed at Matilda at 9 weeks to the day same as newbiekt. I am due mid Sept.
    They have a new $20 000 deposit policy, so perhaps if someone doesn't pay that in time you get offered the room? My OB did tell me not to be alarmed if I didn't get confirmation though and it would most likely come through later.

AussieMum is offline Registered User
    I wasn't deferred but actually declined at 9 weeks (not sure why). Aparently they get a pile of applications at the start and mid month, and accept so many at the top and then start deferring after that (or decline in my case??). At around 16 weeks, I received a surprise email from Matilda asking for my $20K deposit and advising I had been accepted. The whole time, my Ob clinic continually told me not to worry, they always get everyone in (Dr Lucy Lord at Central Health). I even asked should I consider alternative hospitals and they advised me no, don't worry. I think Sally lives there like Dr Lord. Also, with the economic crisis at the moment, more and more places are becoming available, so I wouldn't worry too much at this stage.

Thanks so much for your feedback.
    I did get back to Dr.Ferguson yesterday and had her assistant follow up with the hospital. She came back to me straight away saying that 'my application is still under review but 'none of Dr. Ferguson's patients have been turned down so far' so i shouldn't worry about it. Not sure if i'm any more relaxed about it now, but i will wait another week and have them follow up again if i don't hear anything. Hope that they will get tired of me bugging them and just accept me to get me out of their back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast