Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First time pregnant need info

newlook is offline Registered User

First time pregnant need info

Hi , I am 4 weeks first time pregnant and looking for suggestions and recommendations below are some of my questions would be great if

someone already experienced can advise me :
    - Which obstetrician to consider ( I live in western part of HK Island)
    - I have insurance cover and there is a fixed sum that I can spend from prenatal to postnatal (45-65K including everything and
    depending on type of delivery),so looking for recommendation on hospital , doctor and diagnostic.
    - Is 2bed and 4 bed comfortable in Matilda and Canossa
    - How often one has to visit Obstetricain during prenancy
    - Does hopital package includes Anaesthecian and standby pediatrician
    - Just shortlisted some doctors but will welcome and new names , Which one to prefer among Dr Lam Yung Hang / Arabinda Ghosh/ Wilfred

wong se hung
    - Can someone provide me the breakdown of their whole pregnancy cost

Sorry for so many questions since I have not much idea on the way maternity works in HK so would highly appreciate your feedbacks.

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I won't be able to answer all your questions, but here are some that I could:

1. - Which obstetrician to consider ( I live in western part of HK Island)
    You'll probably get tons of suggestions from other members of this forum. We used Dr. Philip Ho. He's at Hing Wai Building in Central (same building as the Coach flagship store, along Queen's Road Central).

2. - How often one has to visit Obstetricain during pregnancy?
    Once a month for the first 7 months and then barring any complication, every 2 weeks, then every week for the last couple of months.

3. - Does hopital package includes Anaesthecian and standby pediatrician?
    At a private hospital, no. The anaesthetist's and the pediatrician's charge are separate.
    ------

Good luck!

BabyC is offline Registered User
    Hi newlook - congratulations!

i just had my first who is now 5 weeks old and would like to share my experience with you:-

- my obstetrician is dr. william so. he is very experienced has good bedside manner. the only downside is sometimes you have to wait for long (45 mins) even with an appointment

- i had my delivery at the adventist hospital but i don't recommend this hospital as there are not enough nurses and i actually don't like their booking system - they won't guarantee you a place even if you have paid the deposit. by the time i paid the deposit i have no choice as all other hospitals in the hk island were fully booked! i would recommend hk sanatorium, some of my friends delivered there and found the nurses very experienced and professional and are very friendly

- until 34 weeks, i visited dr. so every month then once every 3 weeks in week 35 and 36 and once a week afterwards until my baby was born

- the hospital package does not include anaesthecian and standby padia

all the best with your pregnancy

Sorry was not in town , thank you very much for the valuable suggestions. I am yet to finalize my doctor.

pookey is offline Registered User
    congratulations newlook on your pregnancy!

Another name to add to the dr list - Dr patrick Chan. he's clinic is in Central. Great bedside manner. Very patient and caring. His charges are reasonable too. around 800 per visit, which includes the ultrasound scan. Some dr's charge extra for the scan. How often you need to see your obs will depend on the pregnancy. I had to go more often at the beginning due to other medical conditions.

I had my babies at adventist, and agree with babyC. Adventist is not great and have a very bad overbooking system. If you are choosing between matilda and canossa, matilda definitley looks better. I toured both, but do not have any actual experience at either.

As pp have said, the hospital packages don't include anesthetist or pediatrician. One thing to keep in mind is that having the pediatrician attend the actual birth is optional. i didn't know this for my first, only for my second. The first time, it cost me 7,500 for the ped to attend, the second time, I had the ped come after the birth, and it was 2,000. The ped will usually come every day whilst you and baby are in the hospital, and charge around 2,000 each visit. Your obs will also visit you every day, again, around 2,000 per visit.

good luck!

carolc is offline Registered User
    congratulations!!

I used Dr Lam Yung Hang and he's great. I really liked him. He's professional, experienced, very decisive and direct. I think he's also one of the doctors known for his ultrasound expertise. However, he is not very 'motherly' and is more direct and right to the point, however this is good for me and I liked him very much.

deemama is offline Registered User
    hi there, i was using Dr. Wilfred Wong Se Hung 2 yrs ago for a major ovary complication and he did a very good job. i was healing fast without from problems and now im 18weeks pregnant! Of course im consulting him again. He is very friendly and explains everything in detail until im totally satisfied. He charges abt HK$900 per check up with ultrasound.

hope that helps.

Hi thanks for suggestions please tell me during normal delivery doctors give epidural or not and after that we feel pain and also off hour delivery charge of Dr patrick Chan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast