Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Primary or secondary - where to spend your money?

snagito is offline Registered User

Primary or secondary - where to spend your money?

Hi there! Wondering, if you had a bit of money to spend on your child's education (but not enough for international for both primary and secondary) and if you could send your kids to an international school for EITHER primary or secondary (assuming that they got in, etc etc) - which would you go for - ie: would it be better for them to have the international primary experience first and then say go to an ESF secondary - or better to have the ESF primary bit first and then go to an international secondary. What do you think? Alternatively would it make better sense to do ESF all the way through (again assuming they got in) and then do extra Mandarin or extra whatever to 'enhance' their ESF experience? All thoughts would be so welcome. Thank you!

asdasd is offline Registered User

ESF is international school, isn't it?

kellyst is offline Registered User

i'm undecided re-ESF as well. on the one hand, i had a friend who was an ESF alum, adviced us AGAINST international school all the way. he saw first hand drug problems in the schools and was really against sending kids to any international schools period.
    On the other hand, I have two cousins, graduated from ESF and is getting his second degree in Australia, the other about to graduate from high school this year. I saw her doing her Chinese homework the other day, typing a WHOLE passage in Simplified Chi. I was very impressed, her Chinese gotta be better than mine. I was educated at a private 'local' school many years ago. Moral of the story: Chinese does not necessary have to suffer just because you go to ESF school.

rani is offline Administrator

Hi, I'm an ESF Alum and have to confess half my class was on Pot. A few went on do try other drugs. I don't think you can avoid it. Your child will be offered drugs at some point or the other. I think we just need to drill it in our kids how bad they are, so when the time comes they make the right choice.

kellyst is offline Registered User

wow.. rani, didn't realize it's THAT bad :p what a headache with schooling in HK!

Jojob is offline Registered User

wowo ...Rani,
    you mean it happended at Secondary School or even at Primary School?

rani is offline Administrator

secondary school. :)

somebodyfamous is offline Registered User

I think it depends on which ESF school.... I heard from someone the Ice cream man outside Island School was 'da man' when it came to buying pot.... Those of us in South Island School couldn't buy pot THAT easily (i think only a couple of people smoked but it was outside school)

If only pot was all we had to worry about....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast