Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Our Experience of a Medical Emergency with Baby

sherwes is offline Registered User
    Thanks so much for your replies. I am really pleased that my story has been helpful to some other mums. One point I want to make is that I don't want to freak people out by suggesting that you have to go out and spend big $$$ a Highsense monitor. As Aussiemum says babies can stop breathing for periods and then restart. Febrile seizures are not that uncommon (they affect approx 3% of children) but simple short seizures are harmless and have no lasting effects according to our paed. We don't have any reason to think that our baby's breathing would not have just restarted shortly after the seizure finished. It's suspected that these seizures often occur during the night and the parents are none the wiser - the only symptom in the morning is that the baby is more tired than usual. If it means anything we know at least 5 couples where either the mum or dad is a doctor and none of them have purchased a breathing monitor.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Thanks for posting your story. I too worry about medical emergencies so it's reassuring to read of your son's treatment.

As an aside, a good friend of mine has a daughter who also suffers from febrile seizures and a very similar thing happened to them. She has had a few since her first diagnosis and her parents are now able to deal with them at home without getting too panicked. The first time it happened of course they almost died with fright and I can't imagine going through it myself. Their daughter is perfectly fine and hasn't been harmed in any way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12