Our Experience of a Medical Emergency with Baby
- 03-19-2009, 08:20 PM #9Registered User
- Join Date
- Jun 2007
Thanks so much for your replies. I am really pleased that my story has been helpful to some other mums. One point I want to make is that I don't want to freak people out by suggesting that you have to go out and spend big $$$ a Highsense monitor. As Aussiemum says babies can stop breathing for periods and then restart. Febrile seizures are not that uncommon (they affect approx 3% of children) but simple short seizures are harmless and have no lasting effects according to our paed. We don't have any reason to think that our baby's breathing would not have just restarted shortly after the seizure finished. It's suspected that these seizures often occur during the night and the parents are none the wiser - the only symptom in the morning is that the baby is more tired than usual. If it means anything we know at least 5 couples where either the mum or dad is a doctor and none of them have purchased a breathing monitor.
- 03-19-2009, 09:14 PM #10Registered User
- Join Date
- Jan 2007
Thanks for posting your story. I too worry about medical emergencies so it's reassuring to read of your son's treatment.
As an aside, a good friend of mine has a daughter who also suffers from febrile seizures and a very similar thing happened to them. She has had a few since her first diagnosis and her parents are now able to deal with them at home without getting too panicked. The first time it happened of course they almost died with fright and I can't imagine going through it myself. Their daughter is perfectly fine and hasn't been harmed in any way.
- By cookiemum in forum Family HealthReplies: 3Last Post: 11-24-2009, 11:40 PM
- By Shenzhennifer in forum Everything ElseReplies: 11Last Post: 08-01-2009, 05:47 PM
- By jaz1311 in forum Baby's HealthReplies: 5Last Post: 04-04-2009, 12:39 AM
- By Giana Chiu in forum News and IssuesReplies: 5Last Post: 03-11-2009, 11:45 PM
- By sunrays in forum Baby's HealthReplies: 1Last Post: 06-07-2007, 11:59 AM