Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Helper not entitled to statutory holidays during the first three months?

HK2008 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyV View Post
    It's a bit rich to accuse her of having a poor work ethic just because she's (a) posted and (b) dared to say that some helpers have had bad situations with expat employers. Others have had bad situations with Chinese/Indian/Martian employers. Employers have also had bad luck with Filippina/Thai/Sri Lankan etc helpers.

Attack the argument - not the poster!
    Now who's making assumptions here? When did I accuse her of having a poor work ethic because she dared to say that some helpers have had bad situations with expat employers? I merely pointed out that it takes two hands to clap. If she is currently taking a day off, it's not part of my pre-condition of 'currently working as a helper'. And FYI, I don't think any employer would grant their helper internet access to write on this forum during their working hours(please prove me wrong if any employer has done this). I don't know where you are coming from but looks like I had stepped on your tail for some reason only you yourself would know. And you are rich enough to say that you are not attacking the poster? Completely pointless in losing your cool.

LeahH is offline Registered User
    My helpers have access to the internet in our home and I don't particularly care which sites they access (within the bounds of decency of course!). In general, if they want to take a few minutes during the day to use the internet on a personal basis (as I suspect we ALL do at work) and my kids are sleeping or playing safely, then it's hardly a big deal....

carang is offline Registered User
    everyone has their own ideas what is acceptable and what is not.

i think the misunderstanding arose from hk2008's use of "currently working as a domestic helper". that could be read two ways:
    1) currently employed as in, you have a contract as a FDH
    2) currently at work as a FDH

i believe that she meant the second, however, i think happyv thought it was the first. either way.... doesn't have much to do with the original post.

take a breath and enjoy your weekend folks!

Hi LeahH,
    Glad you are OK with this. I treat my helper the way I want to be treated. However, I'd prefer her not to use my computer, let alone internet. I had stored a lot of personal/confidential stuff like family budget(recently designed), payslips copies and bank statements, etc. So I have a computer login password.

Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    everyone has their own ideas what is acceptable and what is not.

i think the misunderstanding arose from hk2008's use of "currently working as a domestic helper". that could be read two ways:
    1) currently employed as in, you have a contract as a FDH
    2) currently at work as a FDH

i believe that she meant the second, however, i think happyv thought it was the first. either way.... doesn't have much to do with the original post.

take a breath and enjoy your weekend folks!
    Thanks! Carang. I just felt that I was suddently attacked out of the blue...You are right. I'm gonna enjoy a relaxing weekend as I've already got enough good advice for my question.

HappyV is offline Registered User
    "I'm hoping you are not currently working as a helper, because if you still are, it's just showed that you have rather bad work ethics by writing on this forum when you are supposed to be working for your employer. " (HK2008)

Either way, you are accusing her of having a poor work ethic, which is unwarranted, as you have no idea of the specifics of her employment, or her relationship with her employers. She has as much right to post here as anyone else.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12